Tell me more! Spencer Rifle SN 12577

WEarley

Cadet
Hi all,

After a passing in the family I am now in the possession of this rifle. I had never heard of them before now. So far this is the only picture I took but can take more tonight. What types of things should I look at to figure out the model and the history of this rifle.
IMG_9878.jpg

Its a Spencer carbine. If you could post photos of the makers marks which are on top of the receiver and the serial # located right next to the hammer, we can take look and see if its a model 1860 or the 1865. The marking should look like the photo below.
1629654333639.png

1629654366560.png

The condition too. Does the hammer hold in half cock? Magazine insert in and out with no damage? Hows the wood, are there cracks or splinters? Rear sight still there (your paper is covering it)? Hows the bore's condition, is there still rifling? Is the sling bar and metal circle still there. The Gentlemen above to asks is it Model 1860 or Model 1865? All these things can tell you it's value. Others can look up that serial # for you, might give you an idea what unit it was issued too.

Yeah early serial # that's a plus! Also a 1860 not a 1865 another plus! Yup only problem is that hammer chipped like that. You could order an original part (just do an internet search for Original Spencer carbine parts), several places will have them (like S&S). Find a gunsmith in your area if you don't want to replace it your self. It adds the overall value of the gun. Others here can give you ballpark time it was issued and possibly what unit (if your lucky on that). Me I'd say it was used last 2 years of the War. There is also a website out there just dealing with Spencers and their collectors/shooters. They could help you too. You didn't post pics of the left side of the carbine. Is the sling swivel and circular metal ring still there?
Oh wait sorry that rear sight is not original to the gun but again you can probably order an original on line too. Whats the front sight look like? Also open up the action and shine a light near it then look down the barrel to see how well the bore is. You should see swirling twisting lines. The better it looks again the better the value.

Yeah early serial # that's a plus! Also a 1860 not a 1865 another plus! Yup only problem is that hammer chipped like that. You could order an original part (just do an internet search for Original Spencer carbine parts), several places will have them (like S&S). Find a gunsmith in your area if you don't want to replace it your self. It adds the overall value of the gun. Others here can give you ballpark time it was issued and possibly what unit (if your lucky on that). Me I'd say it was used last 2 years of the War. There is also a website out there just dealing with Spencers and their collectors/shooters. They could help you too. You didn't post pics of the left side of the carbine. Is the sling swivel and circular metal ring still there?
Oh wait sorry that rear sight is not original to the gun but again you can probably order an original on line too. Whats the front sight look like? Also open up the action and shine a light near it then look down the barrel to see how well the bore is. You should see swirling twisting lines. The better it looks again the better the value.
Thanks for the additional photos. Its a great looking old war horse. Don't worry about the value, keep it as is as it has a story to tell just like it is.
#15277 Spencer 1860 Carbine is not listed in the SRS books
John, What is the issue date on the closets serial #

Last edited:
That date seems a little late for that serial number to be first issued. Remember the dates in the SRS are not all issue dates, I believe in some cases the are dates from documents when the firearm was transferred or turned in.
You are spot on as the 7th Penn was one of the units that was left behind by Gen Wilson and gave up there Spencers to other units in Wilsons Cav Corp.

Back