Spencer Rifle Info

bobinwmass

Sergeant
Hello - After years of wanting one, last year I finally bought a Model 1860 Spencer Rifle. The mechanics work great, but it appears to have had the stock re-stained long ago, as indicated by some of the old dings being stained over. But there are other old dings and scratches since that time that have already aged. I can find no evidence of a readable cartouche remaining. Rifle is serial number 7388, and from the research I have already attempted on my own, would be from a batch delivered to the Federal government on June 9th, 1863. Can anyone tell me what units may have been issued rifles in the range around this one? I realize that exact hits from the SRS database are extremely rare, and even if a certain number falls in the middle of a range issued to a particular unit, it would not mean that this one went there also as they were not necessarily issued in sequential order. But anything would give me more information and possibilities than I have now, and would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading and any assistance you could provide.

Spencer1.JPG

Spencer2.JPG

Spencer3.JPG

Spencer4.JPG

Spencer5.JPG

Spencer6.JPG

Spencer7.JPG

Spencer8.JPG

Spencer9.JPG

Spencer10.JPG

Very Nice Spencer rifle. Below is the range of the serial# which includes mostly rifles and 2 carbines. What is interesting is all the rifles (R) were issued to a cavalry unit and don't show an issue date as the carbines.

7296 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV
7306 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV
7333 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV
7343 C 012265CO B 1ST KY VOL CAV
7350 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV
7385 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV
7409 C 012265CO B 1ST KY VOL CAV
7426 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV
7432 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV
7442 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV
7487 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV

Very Nice Spencer rifle. Below is the range of the serial# which includes mostly rifles and 2 carbines. What is interesting is all the rifles (R) were issued to a cavalry unit and don't show an issue date as the carbines.

7296 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV
7306 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV
7333 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV
7343 C 012265CO B 1ST KY VOL CAV
7350 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV
7385 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV
7409 C 012265CO B 1ST KY VOL CAV
7426 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV
7432 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV
7442 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV
7487 60R CO B 8TH IND VOL CAV
Thank you very much ucvrelics. The info is greatly appreciated.

Not a problem, just keep in mind with the SRS If it ain't listed, It Ain't listed. What is also interesting is the carbines have issue dates of 12/65 which is a late date for a 4 digit Spencer.

This is just not fair, I have been lustily looking for a M1860 Spencer for quite some time but when one comes up I can afford I’ve already made my semi annual allowed purchase.

Envy is a sin but I’ll be darned if I don’t envy you your fine purchase. Congrats and enjoy your fine young lady.

Not a problem, just keep in mind with the SRS If it ain't listed, It Ain't listed. What is also interesting is the carbines have issue dates of 12/65 which is a late date for a 4 digit Spencer.
I did read little about the history of 8th Indiana Cavalry. They received that designation in October 1863. Before that they were the 39th Indiana Infantry, serving as mounted infantry from April 1863 until then. On the same day that Wilder's men were fighting at Hoover's gap, Wikipedia reports that the 39th Indiana was fighting some 6 miles away at Liberty Gap with their newly acquired Spencer Rifles.

This is just not fair, I have been lustily looking for a M1860 Spencer for quite some time but when one comes up I can afford I’ve already made my semi annual allowed purchase.

Envy is a sin but I’ll be darned if I don’t envy you your fine purchase. Congrats and enjoy your fine young lady.
Thank you. I had the same problem for a few years. Still paid a pretty penny for this, but thought it was fair given the early issue and bayonet.

I would like to make a clarification for everyone's benefit regarding the dates shown in the SRS books. The statement "...the carbines have issue dates of 12/65 which is a late date for a 4 digit Spencer." is incorrect. The researcher and author of those books was the late Frank Mallory. Frank pointed out numerous times that the date shown with the serial number was ONLY the date from the record where the arm in question showed up in the archives, and was NOT an issue date. I hope this helps everyone to better understand how the SRS books work.
J.

Back