Breechldrs Spencer carbine

Remember these numbers don't mean much at all unless exact. 13283 1860C Co.I 3rd Mich. Vol. Cav, 13295 1860C Co. M 2nd NY Vol. Cav., These are only numbers close, but as you can see it doesn't mean much without being exact
Can you please tell me how you were able to get that military information based on the serial number? I have several civil war firearms that I would love to trace to their respective military units! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

John

Can you please tell me how you were able to get that military information based on the serial number? I have several civil war firearms that I would love to trace to their respective military units! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

John
Info comes from SRS Springfield Research Service books (OOP). These are hard to find and costly books. They probably only contain a less then 10% if even that much of serial numbers from the National Archives. As to finding whom issued to and unit, your only hope is that they were recorded in someones bible, diary or in a official report of some kind.

Info comes from SRS Springfield Research Service books (OOP). These are hard to find and costly books. They probably only contain a less then 10% if even that much of serial numbers from the National Archives. As to finding whom issued to and unit, your only hope is that they were recorded in someones bible, diary or in a official report of some kind.
I believe the SRS records list no more than one percent (1%) of the guns with serial numbers - and most of the weapons used had no serial numbers (ie, muskets) - the original records listing serial numbers were created outside of the system (that is, no records listing serial numbers sent to a particular unit were ordered to be be created or archived; there were NO OFFICIAL FORMS FOR LISTING SERIAL NUMBERS by any branch of service on either North or South, and the few lists that were created and were saved almost by accident, and so very rarely will there be any info on a particular serial.

Last edited:
Thank you for the prompt reply!

Back