Spencer Army Rifle, 5th Michigan Cavalry

CPT Newcomb

Cadet
This is my first real post here after saying 'hi' in the new recruit area. I hope I don't mess this up. If I was successful in attaching the pictures, I just inherited this rifle last week. I have frankly coveted it since I was a kid. The back story is that someone in Gary, Indiana gave this to my father around 1957 for his help in cleaning out an attic. Apparently the older gent didn't know what it was or didn't care. Even at the age of 17, I knew it was pretty awesome and the serial number gave me a clue that it might be more special than others. I also knew back then that something wasn't right about the front stock.

I'm not an expert on these but from what googling I've done, it appears to be one of the mystical 'first order' rifles that Wiley Sword had only seen 2 or 3 of and were bought by LTC Copeland for the 5th Michigan Cav. It has obviously been modified as the front stock is only 6 inches long and all the metal bands are gone. It was in this condition from the first time I saw it back in the 1980s, so I think the modification was done well before my father got it in 1957. Maybe it was war damage, maybe that was someone's idea of 'demilitarizing' it. It appears to be fully functional. Everything seems to move like it's supposed to.

I know it is very doubtful that I'll be able to tag a name to this piece but if anyone has any insight as to its history, I would appreciate input. I assume by the serial number of 1453, that it went to Gettysburg with the Michigan 5th Cav under Copeland and then Custer. The only markings are the patent stamp on top, the serial number and what looks like the letter "L" under the barrel, right in front of the front stock. If anyone can check the SRS to see if there's a mention of it, I would appreciate it.

No Stabler or other modifications are apparent except for the front stock. It is a "Spencer Army Rifle" due to it being almost a full 4 feet long. I'm used to maintaining modern weapons like M-4s, so if anyone has any tips on properly maintaining this thing, please advise. I haven't done anything but stare at it since I brought it home.

PXL_20210115_143009657~2.jpg

PXL_20210115_143207364.jpg

PXL_20210115_143155526~2.jpg

PXL_20210115_143503532~2.jpg

PXL_20210115_143222327~2.jpg

PXL_20210115_143133507.jpg

PXL_20210115_143249829~2.jpg

PXL_20210115_144609994.jpg

Well the good news on your Spencer 1860 number 1453 is listed, but the bad news is that it is listed as a Carbine to Co. C 19th Penn. Vol. Cav.. Obviously it has a Carbine fore end and a Rifle barrel. So did a rifle barrel get put on the carbine , did a carbine fore end get put on a rifle or is the SRS listing incorrect?

Last edited:
Interesting Spencer. In looking at the fore-stock it is shorter than a carbine and if I'm seeing it from the photos the bottom of the barrel is shinier than the rest so IMHO opinion it was a rifle and was sporterised post war. Lets get @Jeff in Ohio input.

Surplus Spencers were rebuilt and sold for decades after the War...I've got a reprint catalog from a Pittsburgh wholesaler which shows a standing offer of a price for any Spencer, even ones that are not working or complete. This could be a private rebuild of some sort.

From the various historical accounts I've read, then LTC Copeland purchased rifles #1000 through 2050 with his own money to outfit his cavalry troops. Hence, no inspector cartouches and whatnot. I realize it may not have stayed with the 5th MI Cav after initial issue in 1863, but the allegedly the first 500 rifles in that run went to the 5th MI Cav.

After some time the old memory kicked in. I looked back at Wiley Swords " Those xxxxmed Michigan Spencers" The Carbines started with serial number 10350. So it appears the SRS is incorrect as 1453 could only be a rifle.
I read somewhere that Spencer essentially reused serial numbers between the different models. So, it could be possible to have a rifle and carbine with the same number but different manufacturing dates. Since this one seems fully intact as a 'rifle' with the exception of the front stock, it would have been produced before the carbine that carried the same number, I think.

I read somewhere that Spencer essentially reused serial numbers between the different models. So, it could be possible to have a rifle and carbine with the same number but different manufacturing dates. Since this one seems fully intact as a 'rifle' with the exception of the front stock, it would have been produced before the carbine that carried the same number, I think.
No as the model 1865 serial# went to 34000 and would have had a Model 1865 stamp on the top.

I wonder how hard it would be to get a replacement fore stock and the bands?

There are new old stock forearms floating around, made back in the day and stored away for these past 150 years. I don't have a specific source, but keep looking.

Both Lodgewood and S&S show having bands and nose cap. No original forestock, only a reproduction at S&S
I bet the repro wood could be aged a bit to match; if it were mine I would do that. But, that's just me to each their own.

I'm just getting started with it. I had wondered if I could find replacement hardware and a stock from that time period. I was just relieved that the rest of it is in really good shape and that the barrel matched the receiver. I would want it to at least appear original. I'm also in the middle of building a workshop and a lot of other projects, along with a family and a day job. So, it might be a bit before I can hunt things down.

Back