Specific Activities

Lubliner

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
DEPARTMENT OF THE OHIO
Burnside was placed in charge on the 16th​ of March, 1863. It embraced the States of Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, most of Kentucky, and any part of East Tennessee possible to occupy. Guards were placed on the Louisville and Nashville Railroad and other railroads in the State of Kentucky, moving from point to point to offset frequent guerilla attacks.
Colonel J. H. Simpson, chief engineer, was ordered “to fortify points along the railroads, with a view to holding them with a minimum force.” (page 12).
In May, Burnside approved a joint raiding expedition planned by General Willcox into East Tennessee, and it was launched in June. Colonel Saunders movement reached the Tennessee Railroad at Loudon and destroyed portions of it. They also destroyed the bridge at Strawberry Plains, claimed to be one of the most important upon that road.
About this same time (July), General John Morgan moved toward Lebanon destroying railroads and telegraph lines. Morgan moved on toward the Ohio River and troops had to be called in over the Columbus and Pittsburgh railroad. They were able to check Morgan at Salineville and capture his command.
Governor Tod of Ohio had helped place these troops at the point of debarkation.
[Burnside's Report, Series 1, Volume 23, Part 1, pages 11-15].

This was an important achievement for Burnside, and shows a coordinated effort between three districts within his command. It also hints at the difficulties and importance involving infrastructure. This is all occurring at the time Rosecrans is moving south through Tullahoma, making Bragg fall back into Chattanooga.
Lubliner.

Lubliner

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
@Buckeye Bill I am extending an invitation for you, if you have the time, to post any photos and comments concerning Morgan's Raid and capture, due to your avid interest in particular. Also @Rhea Cole, likewise, if you can post any photos and maps for a strategic overlay of this campaign in conjunction with Rosecrans I would be much obliged. And I cannot but hope the ever watchful @DaveBrt will help to keep our ball moving in the proper direction.
Thank you,
Lubliner.

Rhea Cole

1st Lieutenant
@Buckeye Bill I am extending an invitation for you, if you have the time, to post any photos and comments concerning Morgan's Raid and capture, due to your avid interest in particular. Also @Rhea Cole, likewise, if you can post any photos and maps for a strategic overlay of this campaign in conjunction with Rosecrans I would be much obliged. And I cannot but hope the ever watchful @DaveBrt will help to keep our ball moving in the proper direction.
Thank you,
Lubliner.
I am not sure what you are looking for. Just like he did at Stones River, Morgan was nowhere near the opening phase of the Tullahoma Campaign which opened June 23, 1863, thus materially aiding the AoC capture of McMinnville on Bragg's right flank. Strategically & tactically, it was Morgan's absence that is significant. Literally, a blank piece of paper would suffice to demonstrate what Morgan's dunderheaded raid contributed to the Army of Tennessee at that critical moment. If there is something specific you are looking for, please let me know.