Southwest Georgia and the War

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
BattleofColumbus.jpg

(Map of the Battle of Columbus)

As someone from southwest Georgia, I'm aware of how quiet our region was while the war raged all around us. But that doesn't mean our neck of the woods doesn't have at least a few interesting stories from the war and afterwards...somewhere. Probably the most notable is that of the battle of Columbus, which could probably warrant its own thread. If you have a story of the war in the wiregrass, feel free to post it here!

To get the ball rolling, my ggg-grandfather was a private in the 13th Georgia Infantry (Co. G, Early Guards - our family still lives there to this day). He was wounded in 1863 (Gettysburg?) and came home to become an enrolling officer. I'm almost certain I have other ancestors who fought, but I haven't tracked them down yet.

Last edited:
I was not sure how long the Link would last so I saved a copy of it, but on rebooting the copy, all that shows are the interactive additions. I will enjoy it anyway. The artist's concept of heights, and the Legend were worth the effort. Thanks.
Lubliner.

I was not sure how long the Link would last so I saved a copy of it, but on rebooting the copy, all that shows are the interactive additions. I will enjoy it anyway. The artist's concept of heights, and the Legend were worth the effort. Thanks.
Lubliner.
Odd, are you saying that only the image showed up when you used the link? When I clicked it, it took me to the page as it should.

Back