South's most famous soldier in 1860

The OP asks for the most famous. Is most able, or best at being in command, the same as most famous? Although to old to take to the field in 1860, I still believe Scott to be the most famous.

And nobody made claim to the great Pathfinder yet? Charles Fremont!! Is it because of a territorial claim that in the public press neutrality is not southern? My bad.
Lt. Col. John Baylor, the self-appointed Governor of Arizona in August of 1861 made this comment; "....Here I was joined by Brig. Gen. A. S. Johnston, with a party of officers of the U. S. Army, who had resigned and were en route to Richmond, Va.; also a party of Californians, under Capt. Alonzo Ridley. I tendered to Brig. Gen. Johnston the command of my forces, believing that the best interest of the service required that I should relinquish the command to an officer of his rank and distinguished ability...." Official Records, Series 1, Volume III, page 17-19. [dated Sept. 21, 1861].
Lubliner.

I would have to say Albert Sidney Johnston but don't forget Beauregard was at West Point as Superintendent
Beauregard actually never was allowed, or rather didn't permit himself the favor of his appointment. He was in Louisiana right before that appointment when the war broke out, and was the qualified engineer for the passes south of New Orleans. Dredge work and channel work, and the forts; as well as some buildings or their foundations.
I know it is recorded in history the dates of his arrival there on the Hudson, but to qualify him as a Superintendent in the actual Academy, he is listed as resigned before his commission I presume. I could be wrong but....
Lubliner.

Back