Southern Yankees and Northern Rebels

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Friends,

Wanted to try another new thread so here's the idea.

How many who lived in the South fought for the North and Union? And who were they?

By the same token, how many who lived in the North fought for the South and the Confederacy? And can you name some of them?

I'll start with a little known fact that surprised me when I came across it tonight.

Four hundred and fifty thousand anti-Confederate Southerners, black and white, fought in the Union armed forces, meaning that one Southerner wore Yankee blue every two that wore Rebel gray. Put another way, a Southerner replaced every Northerner killed in the Union army, with enough anti-Confederate soldiers left over to outnumber Robert E. Lee's main army.

Every Southern state contibuted soldiers to the Union army in regimental size (1,000 men) or over, except for the State of South Carolina. As an aside to Thea and her home State of Alabama, at least one Union cavalry regiment that I know of was raised and were used as guards for Sherman as he marched through Georgia. See their web site here:

http://www.1stalabamacavalryusv.com/

The above was taken from the book, The South vs The South, by William W. Freehling.

Now, for the other side of the coin, I know from my own study when doing a Confederate reenacting unit, the 17th Mississippi, I know that 5,000 men from Ohio went South and joined various Confederate units to fight against the North. The fellow that I portray in the 17th MS is based on an actual man who lived in Columbus, Ohio, and was a carpenter who went all the way to Holly Springs, Mississippi, to enlist and fight for the South.

Anyone else got some information on this one?

Unionblue

Back