1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Southern Tobacco In The Civil War

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by tmh10, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Youngblood

Youngblood Sergeant

I know what you mean about the smell mmmmmmm.
    I quit the baccy about 8 years ago but now im growing traditional Virginia tobacco in pots for fun. I cured some and gave a bit to a friend who said it was good but a bit stronger than his usual. Im very tempted to try it but that would be bad for me. I know myself.

Rebforever likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Another interesting thread on tobacco.

4. Lusty Murfax

Lusty Murfax Corporal

There used to be a lot of tobacco grown in western Missouri, mostly in Platte, Buchanan and a couple of neighboring Counties. Like most crops, tobacco likes high ph soils, rich in phosphorus and most of the fields were situated on loess or wind-blown type soils, which were deposited in significant depths in only a few places in the world. One to two percent of the nation's total Burley production was in Missouri. All of it was air cured. It was generally harvested in late August to early September, chopped, spiked on staves or staked out on in the field for a day or two, then hung on tier poles in tobacco barns for 60 or so to fully cure. After the tobacco was cured it was carefully taken down for stripping. This is the process where the dried leaves are removed from the stalks and then packed in bales before sale. The scrap tobacco left on the stripping room floor was called trash. Most of the tobacco farmers consulted with agronomists from the University of Kentucky for technical advice and updates on new cultural practices and crop inputs.

Almost all of the rest of the Burley production was in Kentucky. TTBOMK, most of the eastern tobacco, grown mostly in Virginia was flue cured. It was a slightly different variety of Burley, but needed additional heat to cure properly. I know nothing of fire (smoke) cured tobacco other than it happens somewhere back east. I believe the Missouri and Kentucky tobacco varieties are very similar, as are the growing conditions.

I worked in the Agriculture Dept. and we kept special watch over tobacco. All phases of production, processing and sales were heavily regulated and closely monitored. I always enjoyed my visits to tobacco farms and sale barns, though I doubt the feeling was mutual. The small town of Weston, Missouri had two tobacco sale barns and they were the only ones west of the Mississippi.

donna and Booner like this.
  5. realevergreen

realevergreen Private

Hafta also mention Perique tobacco in Louisiana. Dark tobacco, almost black and heavily fermented in barrels with pressure on top of the lids. Very strong and used in small amounts in certain blends.

donna likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)