1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Southern propaganda featuring miscegenation

Discussion in 'Civil War History - Secession and Politics' started by kepi, Mar 14, 2017.

1. civilken

civilken 2nd Lieutenant

yes the southern propaganda machine was working hard to get the message out that if you free the slaves they'll want to mix with everyone or as we on the plantation like to say miseducation and if anyone would know about it. It would have to be the plantation owners because they had been miseducation of quite some time.

leftyhunter likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. civilken

civilken 2nd Lieutenant

I'm sorry the word miscegenation did not come out correct my mistake but I believe or hope you will get the point. Thank you as always for bearing with me.

4. Kenneth Almquist

Kenneth Almquist Corporal

To the extent that this is a response to my previous posting on this thread, I would say that the newspaper article I posted was definitely Southern propaganda, published in a Southern, pro-secession newspaper.

The reference to “Black Republicanism” was by the editor of the Newbern Weekly Progress. The quote from the unidentified New York paper is clearly racist, but not necessarily anti-Republican. It's hard to know what the writer in the New York paper was attempting to do because the grammar (or lack thereof) strongly suggests that the writer was either quoting or parodying someone, and we don't know who or why. Since Rome is an actual city in New York, and Fremont lost four years earlier (Lincoln was President when the article was written), I doubt that the New York paper was attempting to allude to Fremont or Catholicism when naming Rome in the story.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)