1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Southern propaganda featuring miscegenation

Discussion in 'Civil War History - Secession and Politics' started by kepi, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Pat Young

Pat Young Colonel Forum Host

The OP does not assume that it was an exclusively Southern fear. I don't want to get involved in the who is a Yankee question, but New Yorkers at the time used the term Yankee to refer to New Englanders. They did not consider themselves Yankees.

Joshism and uaskme like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. uaskme

uaskme Corporal

How was California's record on the Chinese during this period. Not many Blacks made it to the Golden State.

Harvey Johnson likes this.
  4. kepi

kepi First Sergeant

I was reading about this hoax a few days ago and that is what sparked my curiosity in the topic.

Bee and Pat Young like this.
  5. Pat Young

Not relevant to the OP. You may want to start a separate thread on anti-Chinese racism in California, however.

MattL likes this.
  6. kepi

kepi First Sergeant

Agreed. I'm more interested in how it was used as propaganda to stoke fear and how it was used in the events surrounding disunion and/or used against republicans. I'm not sure it was used against democrats, but I'd like to learn if it was.

leftyhunter and Pat Young like this.
  7. kepi

kepi First Sergeant

Yes, Lets just stick to the events surrounding disunion and the war.

leftyhunter and Pat Young like this.
  8. kepi

kepi First Sergeant

I've come across several newspaper articles published in the months before secession "warning" of hoards of free blacks roaming the countryside raping and thieving at will should the Republicans come to power, but nothing so far about interracial marriages. Perhaps this was a concept so alien to people of that time that it never occurred to them as a possibility.

In any event, I'm sure it was used to stoke fear on some level.

Joshism, leftyhunter and Pat Young like this.
  9. matthew mckeon

matthew mckeon Brigadier General Moderator

He's got nothing. Ignore him is my advice.

10. matthew mckeon

Anyone who is interested should read Virginia Wasn't Always for Lovers. Despite the cute title, its a lawyer's survey of the laws prohibiting sexual contact between the races throughout the United States and these laws being ruled unconstitutional in Loving v. Virginia. Such laws were a feature of nearly every state, and in the colonies from the late 17th century on. Such state regulations were repealed over the later 19th century and 20th century, although the Supreme Court had to sweep the country clean of them altogether.

11. John Hartwell

John Hartwell Captain Forum Host

You can read he original 1864 pamphlet, Miscegenation, the theory of the blending of the races, at archive.org.

Like Pat Young says, today, the pamphlet seems eerily modern, and most people today would find little to complain about in it's general theory. But a century and a half ago it was meant to be frighteningly radical. And, this should no be turned into a North vs South discussion. Some degree of racism and fear of racial mixing was found everywhere, across the country in the 1860s, and would become even more pervasive in the coming decades (or, at least, those willing to speak out against racial injustice became, for a time, less vocal).

Bee, Joshism, leftyhunter and 2 others like this.
  12. matthew mckeon

The mixture of class, power and sex are always interesting. In abolitionist literature antebellum, the sexual exploitation of enslaved women was a common theme. It wasn't just the race mixing, but rather the idea that black women were some sort of sexual cookie jar, unable to "protect their honor" as it was phrased. Slavery being corrosive to both white and black families. But its still white men subjecting black women. For a black man to have any kind of relations, sexual or otherwise, with a white woman violated race and power taboos. I recall in Battle Cry of Freedom Democratic campaign literature portrayed black men socializing with white women, while white men are reduced to the status of servants.

13. matthew mckeon

It seems to me that such laws weren't so much about preventing sex between white men and black women, but preventing marriage, the legal acknowledgement of the status of either a black man or a black woman.

Pat Young likes this.
  14. matthew mckeon

How were the laws actually enforced? Mississippi had the reputation of being quite strictly segregated "back in the day," yet no sheriff found the time to harass Newton Knight and his musical shotgun.

One of his less violent(but still stubborn) descendants was hauled into court for marrying outside his race, as I recall, and threatened with jail, but I can't remember how it turned out.

leftyhunter likes this.
  15. matthew mckeon

If you read Virginia Wasn't Always for Lovers, the state regs on the horrors of interracial marriage were often a bit nutty and reflected the anxieties of their particular time and place. Racism doesn't equal rational.

16. matthew mckeon

Victoria Bynam, the author of The Free State of Jones, notes several places in the Jim Crow south where interracial relationships were tolerated and not interfered with. Richard and Mildred Loving married in D.C., but moved back to their small Virginia town with the (mistaken) expectation that nobody would bother them, since black and whites socialized relatively freely there.

Pat Young likes this.
  17. Pat Young

18. Pat Young

19. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Major

How was the South's record on Chinese? This thread is about miscegenation. If you want to see how the Chinese ate doing then come to the San Gabriel Valley we have the worlds best Chinese food . Bad news is the traffic is terrible. How did California treat the Chinese? Better then Chairman Mao.
    Leftyhunter

20. Pat Young

21. Pat Young

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)