Southern Ladies and their Tobacco Habits

I still know a few southern ladies who chew.
Their ability to spit their chaw in a perfect ten foot stream
is hypnotizing. Do not try this at home.

My Grandmother on mom's side used snuff. I have seen her do it.

My Grandmother on Dad's side had a corncob pipe and I have pictures of her using it.

Snuff

According to family history, my ggg grandmother on my mother's side of the family dipped snuff. She was from either Alabama or Mississippi.

Karen Lips

Apparently, a lot of women (ladies?) north and south used 'baccy in one form or another. It might appear to be more southern than northern, but it is a subject rarely mentioned, so one can't really make a reasoned judgement.

There might be a hint in the number of northern soldiers who wrote home about southern women and their use, but that's hardly fair in that the southern boys did not write home about northern women.

Just a thought.

Ole

We had a phrase back home, usually uttered when an animal had brought some reason for disapproval: "snuff eatin' dog".

No one had the nerve to refer to Granny that way, however, she could have easily qualified. Though she was quite neat about it, she was far too good a cook to mess with.

Back home, a long, long time ago, the little bit of tobacco stuffed under the lip was called snoose. Only Herbert did that. Rudy smoked Luckies, Eddie got lip cancer. Hans did a cigar every now and then. THE Dad took up a pack now and then to keep up. He quit when he dropped some ash in a carburetor of a recently rebuilt engine.

Trying to stay on topic and failing, miserably.

Ole

Back