Southern Cross Of Honor Applications

And the ones I have been able to find are in private collections. Never mind hard to read. Might be some others out there that do not have license or copywrite issues.
I think the best we have to research from are the various lists on the web of the medals awarded by the organization. Will have to research each individual to find out more information, I think.

I think it'd be nice if anyone who had any scanned them and uploaded them to a website of some sort.

Although I have no clue how to set up a website.

I think it'd be nice if anyone who had any scanned them and uploaded them to a website of some sort.

Although I have no clue how to set up a website.
Well, I guess you could technically call this a “list”, if one had the patience to work through it. I put these parameters in fold3 last night.
The Ancestry/fold3 partnership has now enabled one to link a soldier to his tree in Ancestry, if one exists. That’s when you see “ 5 connections”, etc....

If you had a particular soldier in mind, maybe you could add it to the search feature?

DE3233E4-B219-475B-94A6-D8B765E5E966.jpeg

Well, I guess you could technically call this a “list”, if one had the patience to work through it. I put these parameters in fold3 last night.
The Ancestry/fold3 partnership has now enabled one to link a soldier to his tree in Ancestry, if one exists. That’s when you see “ 5 connections”, etc....

If you had a particular soldier in mind, maybe you could add it to the search feature?

View attachment 418389
Did a quick search and here's George William Johnson's photo.

Some great finds! Ok, there are 58 soldiers in fold3 under the search term “Southern Cross of Honor”. Every single one of them were either in the 4th Va. Cavalry, or a Virginia Infantry. They quoted the source as Virginia Regimental History Series. These soldiers were referred to as Gold Star soldiers. Here’s one:
9D58638A-9E55-4CDA-AAB0-F916BD25B6CE.jpeg

Note the Gold Star top right. All of the Virginia ones were similar, whether they received their recognition when they were alive, old, or dead.
Here’s some good data on distinguishing the two different medals:

89638CE5-86B9-4EBD-ABA0-486D39F803CD.jpeg

and a snippet from one soldier’s bio on fold3:
667F6D14-B089-459D-A7C0-0927523197E7.jpeg

Finally, here a book that is easily found on Amazon, in paperback for around $12...
437565C1-ED3B-41FD-98DD-D2991EA9973A.jpeg

As one of those articles stated, the original Rolls of Honor were preserved in the Adjutant Inspector General’s Office. Maybe some of our members with that level of knowledge could tell you more about that!
That’s about it for me...good luck!

So apparently it seems that to me finding digitized Southern Cross Of Honor applications is somewhat difficult.

I would've thought something like this would've been on file someplace.
We would think.

While the Confederate Armies were very good about keeping records, the last 12 months were catastrophic for
the clerks ... just like all units.

Paperwork took a "back-seat" to survival.

All things considered, I'm still amazed that so many CSA records were preserved.

Back