South Mountain Battle Field Under Attack Again?

Why would they want to build a Redskins stadium so far away from DC? The distance would have a significant impact on attendance.

https://emergingcivilwar.com/2019/0...ield-at-the-center-of-controversial-proposal/

On September 14, 1862, portions of the Army of the Potomac and the Army of Northern Virginia dueled for possession of three passes through South Mountain in Maryland. A Federal victory, both sides together lost around five thousand casualties in the battle that precluded the single bloodiest day in American history: Antietam. Today, the battlefield sits on land owned and preserved by the State of Maryland. However, that may change.

image1-1024x735.jpg
The War Correspondents Memorial sits in Crampton's Gap at Gathland State Park and South Mountain Battlefield. Courtesy of Wikimedia.

The Washington Redskins of the National Football League hope to build a new stadium in Prince George’s County, Maryland along the Potomac River. Sadly, the land they hope to develop is currently under control of the U.S. Department of the Interior as Oxon Cove Park. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Oxon Cove not only includes the early-19th century Flemish and Italianate Mount Welby home, it also has many historic structures and equipment that tell the history of farming and medicine in the United States. The park is also notable for its natural resources and wildlife. Read more of this post

It's not going to happen at that site that the Maryland governor wants anyways. The feds have no incentive to turn that over to state control for a football stadium. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The only impact on South Mountain is whether it is state or federal land.

Why would they want to build a Redskins stadium so far away from DC? The distance would have a significant impact on attendance.
Ever been to D.C. at night...?? It's not what you would call, an inviting environment.

It's also quite a cluster. The old RFK stadium was quite the experience back in the day. Especially for a Cowboys fan :D The only practical way to get there was the Metro.

The suburbs, & surrounding areas, are much more inviting to the fan base that can afford game day experiences today. NFL games are no longer inexpensive events. I have in my possession, my ticket stub from the '82 NFC Championship game at RFK. The face value of the ticket is $17 LOLOLOLOL This was a row 1 approx. 45yd line seat, that I sat in :cool: You couldn't touch that caliber seat for less than 100+ times that amount today. The face value alone would be well over $500.

People that can afford these type of events, don't really want to walk through crime ridden areas to a venue. They don't want to leave their cars, & come back to it sitting on blocks either :D

With the exception of a couple neighborhoods, that are in the zip code, D.C. is a rough place just outside all the Marble, & Granite.

Back