South Carolina uniforms by Ron Field.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Some time ago Ron Field did a series of booklets about South Carolina regiments and their uniforms and flags. I have 6 of these and I thinking of trying to add some more. Does anyone know how many of these booklets Ron Field put out?

sc-1-jpg.jpg

south c.jpg

This one has 11 black and white illustrations of the uniforms and 20 black and white illustrations of the flags. This booklet is 54 pages long including the extensive end notes, and gives a history of the regiment and each company in the 1st South Carolina Volunteers to include the uniforms and flags. If you are into regimental histories this is probably not the book for you, however if you are in to uniforms and flags you will enjoy it.

The two volumes about the Hampton Legion were very well done and I can suggest them to forum members interested in the uniforms and flags of the Hampton Legion. Being two volumes allows a deeper coverage of this unit. These two came with multiple color uniform plates.
south c 5.jpg

I have all of the ones he wrote and Ron has the information to write some of the other regiments but Osprey didn’t push for them back in the 90’s when he did this series. So unfortunately we are short on the 2nd, 6th, 8th, 9th and 10th. Most of the other regiments after this were issued state issue uniforms whereas the first 10 regiments raised had multiple militia companies in each with distinctive uniforms and more to offer. Also, a lot more information has been found since these were written and photos surfaced to revise them all more thoroughly. Ron plans on writing a Southeast militia uniform book from 1861 in the future similar to the Rally Round the Flag book on New England Militia companies.

I think it would rude of me to email him and ask him how many he wrote.

I disagree. Contacting him shows you are interested in him as an author and his research. He might have extra copies of booklets which you don't have and who knows what other information he might share with you. I would reconsider if I were you.

I would have to see if I can find his email address, I have not emailed him in several years and I am not even sure his old email address is still current.

Also a large number of four page uniform studies were published (70 plus) by Ron Field and others covering Confederate uniforms. I might have 7 or 8 of these.

I have communicated with Ron several times. I don't think he would mind you contacting him . Great guy. I've copied him with a link to this thread.

Last edited:
Hi Gents,
GMSorrel alerted me to this conversation concerning my "South Carolina Volunteers in the Civil War" series published in the 1990s. Also I believe Major Bill may be referring to the "Uniforms of the Confederacy" series I produced while associate editor of the Confederate Historical Society of Great Britain back in the 1980s/1990s. I greatly appreciate the interest which still remains for my earlier work! There were only seven titles published in the former series and Gregg's 1st, Sloan's 4th and Bacon's 7th are out-of-print, although random copies can occasionally be found on amazon. I still have available copies of Jenkins' 5th, Calhoun/Rhett's 1st Artillery, and Hampton's Legion Regimental History and Company Histories for $20 a copy plus mailing. I also have copies of some of the uniform plates & text produced for "Uniforms of the Confederacy." This includes further South Carolina subjects such as Infantry Uniforms of the Beat Militia of South Carolina, 1839-1861; Regular Army of South Carolina, 1860-1861; Washington Light Infantry, South Carolina Militia (SCM); Carolina Light Infantry, SCM, 1858-1862; 1st Regiment of Rifles (Orr's Rifles), South Carolina Volunteers. Plates & text dealing with other states include 1st & 2nd Mississippi Cavalry Battalions, 1861; Smith-Quitman Rifles of Jackson, Mississippi, 1861-1862; 2nd Volunteer Regiment, Alabama Militia, 1860-1861; Clinch Rifles, Augusta Independent Volunteer Battalion/Co. A, 5th Georgia Volunteer Infantry, 1860-1861; Arkansas Troops at Wilson's Creek, 1861; Bandsmen & Musicians of the Confederacy; & 11th Virginia Infantry, 1861. If there is interest in any of this material let me know. I can provide what is still available of the "South Carolina Volunteers" series at $20 a copy plus mailing. Depending on what duplicate copies I have left in "Uniforms of the Confederacy", I can provide for $20 a copy of the original Journal in which the plate and text was published, which includes lots of other articles including my "Flags of the Confederacy" series. This would be the first time since original publication way back when that material from the Confederate Historical Society is being made available. I have included an artwork from "Uniforms of the Confederacy" plus accompanying Journal cover so you can get an idea of what I have.
Ron Field

scan0539.jpg

scan0538.jpg

Hi Gents,
GMSorrel alerted me to this conversation concerning my "South Carolina Volunteers in the Civil War" series published in the 1990s. Also I believe Major Bill may be referring to the "Uniforms of the Confederacy" series I produced while associate editor of the Confederate Historical Society of Great Britain back in the 1980s/1990s. I greatly appreciate the interest which still remains for my earlier work! There were only seven titles published in the former series and Gregg's 1st, Sloan's 4th and Bacon's 7th are out-of-print, although random copies can occasionally be found on amazon. I still have available copies of Jenkins' 5th, Calhoun/Rhett's 1st Artillery, and Hampton's Legion Regimental History and Company Histories for $20 a copy plus mailing. I also have copies of some of the uniform plates & text produced for "Uniforms of the Confederacy." This includes further South Carolina subjects such as Infantry Uniforms of the Beat Militia of South Carolina, 1839-1861; Regular Army of South Carolina, 1860-1861; Washington Light Infantry, South Carolina Militia (SCM); Carolina Light Infantry, SCM, 1858-1862; 1st Regiment of Rifles (Orr's Rifles), South Carolina Volunteers. Plates & text dealing with other states include 1st & 2nd Mississippi Cavalry Battalions, 1861; Smith-Quitman Rifles of Jackson, Mississippi, 1861-1862; 2nd Volunteer Regiment, Alabama Militia, 1860-1861; Clinch Rifles, Augusta Independent Volunteer Battalion/Co. A, 5th Georgia Volunteer Infantry, 1860-1861; Arkansas Troops at Wilson's Creek, 1861; Bandsmen & Musicians of the Confederacy; & 11th Virginia Infantry, 1861. If there is interest in any of this material let me know. I can provide what is still available of the "South Carolina Volunteers" series at $20 a copy plus mailing. Depending on what duplicate copies I have left in "Uniforms of the Confederacy", I can provide for $20 a copy of the original Journal in which the plate and text was published, which includes lots of other articles including my "Flags of the Confederacy" series. This would be the first time since original publication way back when that material from the Confederate Historical Society is being made available. I have included an artwork from "Uniforms of the Confederacy" plus accompanying Journal cover so you can get an idea of what I have.
Ron Field

View attachment 298592

View attachment 298593

Thanks Ron for taking time to respond to this thread. I will be sending you a PM.

Thank you Ron for all their formation. I find the Confederate Historical Society of Great Britain concept very interesting. A history magazine with a uniform plate was a different approach.

Thank you Ron for all their formation. I find the Confederate Historical Society of Great Britain concept very interesting. A history magazine with a uniform plate was a different approach.
After original inception in the 1960s, the Society was revived in 1984 and produced a quarterly Journal until 1990. It was a prolific time and much new work was produced. It laid the foundation for my work which followed and continues today.

Hi Gents,
Ron Field

View attachment 298592

View attachment 298593
Hello Ron. I would be interested in any of your other materials on South Carolina. If you can let me know what you still have available I’d like to purchase. Also I have some additional photos of SC militia to share with you. Let me know the best way to contact you. Thanks.

Back