South Carolina "A White Man Named Taylor, Who Had Made Negroes His Only Companions..."

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

matthew mckeon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
In River of Dark Dreams, Walter Johnson describes whites on the fringes of the Mississippi River valley cotton economy whose socialized with blacks and sometimes either assisted in escapes, or at least didn't assist in recapture.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
In River of Dark Dreams, Walter Johnson describes whites on the fringes of the Mississippi River valley cotton economy whose socialized with blacks and sometimes either assisted in escapes, or at least didn't assist in recapture.
In spite of all the nonsense about whites and slaves being friends in the Old South, those whites who formed friendships were often considered suspect. In the cases I have read of whites forming apparent social bonds with slaves, the white is often an outsider. Typically a member of a religious minority or an immigrant. Solomon Northrup’s White friend was a Canadian Immigrant, for example. In other cases the white person is very poor and endaged in similar work to the slave.

matthew mckeon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
In spite of all the nonsense about whites and slaves being friends in the Old South, those whites who formed friendships were often considered suspect. In the cases I have read of whites forming apparent social bonds with slaves, the white is often an outsider. Typically a member of a religious minority or an immigrant. Solomon Northrup’s White friend was a Canadian Immigrant, for example. In other cases the white person is very poor and endaged in similar work to the slave.
The "nonsense" part might be slaves being friends with their owners. People like Newton Knight, non slave owners, had relationships with African Americans, the word "relationship" doing a lot of work in that sentence.

Carronade

1st Lieutenant
When you have millions of people, you're going to have lots of different situations, and they could include some sincere friendships, romances, family life, etc.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
The "nonsense" part might be slaves being friends with their owners. People like Newton Knight, non slave owners, had relationships with African Americans, the word "relationship" doing a lot of work in that sentence.
The nonsense I refer to is the notion that slave owners and others associated with the enslavement of black people routinely viewed slaves as family and friends.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
When you have millions of people, you're going to have lots of different situations, and they could include some sincere friendships, romances, family life, etc.
And they could be expelled from communities for those deviations.

Patrick H

Lt. Colonel
Anderson intelligencer
Tuesday, Sep 11, 1860
Anderson, SC
Vol: 1
Page: 5

View attachment 273482
Wow. Some of the locals didn't approve of Mr. Taylor's choice of companions! Actually, in my own youth I witnessed frequent cases of whites be held suspect or being ridiculed (usually behind their backs) because of their friendship with blacks. Of course, I never heard of anyone being threatened with hanging, but I heard plenty of ridicule.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!