Discussion Source for Traditions Enfield, Springfield kits

Peter Stines

Sergeant
Muzzle-loaders.com has Traditions brand rifle/musket kits. Enfield, Springfield, 1842 smoothbore & rifled. They also have Pedersoli guns and kits. Some are on back order and may be higher in price than other sources. They stock several brands of musket and pistol caps (RWS & CCI) Again prices may be higher than others. Shop around and compare. Main reason I share this is kits are easier to modify aka DEFARB than factory assembled. Now live long enough to irritate your kids and spend their inheritance!!!!

Good post, I agree about the kits. I am actually working on a project to use original parts on a new barrel so I can shoot it. I am now leaning towards only using a new barrel and new stock I can shape and finish myself, so I would like to avoid the price of a kit to not use 90% of the parts. Does anyone know if a barrel can be purchases stand alone from the reproduction manufacturers?

I am having trouble finding just barrels for sale.

Good post, I agree about the kits. I am actually working on a project to use original parts on a new barrel so I can shoot it. I am now leaning towards only using a new barrel and new stock I can shape and finish myself, so I would like to avoid the price of a kit to not use 90% of the parts. Does anyone know if a barrel can be purchases stand alone from the reproduction manufacturers?

You can get new made original dimension barrels from Dan Whitacre and Bob Hoyt, provided they have access to a supply of breech plugs. These will drop in fit to original stocks and work well with good reproduction stocks from the likes of The Rifle Shoppe and Dunlap Woodcrafts. The barrels will probably be too small across the breech to put into an Italian reproduction stock.

You can get new made original dimension barrels from Dan Whitacre and Bob Hoyt, provided they have access to a supply of breech plugs. These will drop in fit to original stocks and work well with good reproduction stocks from the likes of The Rifle Shoppe and Dunlap Woodcrafts. The barrels will probably be too small across the breech to put into an Italian reproduction stock.
I have first hand experience with Whitacre. I highly recommend him. And Hoyt also has an excellent reputation.

Depending on what you are building you can find original parts from Lodgewood, Butch's Antique Gun Parts (He handles mostly cast repro parts but does have some originals) S&S and Ed Knisely (I hope I spelled it right.) Ed has original parts for Springfield (1816-1890) Good source for 1855-1866 parts. I don't think he has Enfield parts. International Military Antiques has a lot of Enfield, Brunswick, Brown Bess and other parts but some of this is pretty rusty and in "relic" condition. This stuff was recovered from the Nepal arsenal in India. These would be contract guns. Read Craig Berry's book for the dope on that. Good luck

Depending on what you are building you can find original parts from Lodgewood, Butch's Antique Gun Parts (He handles mostly cast repro parts but does have some originals) S&S and Ed Knisely (I hope I spelled it right.) Ed has original parts for Springfield (1816-1890) Good source for 1855-1866 parts. I don't think he has Enfield parts. International Military Antiques has a lot of Enfield, Brunswick, Brown Bess and other parts but some of this is pretty rusty and in "relic" condition. This stuff was recovered from the Nepal arsenal in India. These would be contract guns. Read Craig Berry's book for the dope on that. Good luck
Thank you Sir, I have been building a collection of original parts for a while now for several different firearms, but this does take time to find the right part in the right condition and price. I do business with Lodgewood, but was not aware of Ed Knisely, I will look into this. I know of S&S but have not traded with them yet. Discovering Whitacre's Machine Shop and Dunlap Woodcrafts was like winning the lottery for me as that is exactly what I was trying to find.

Thank you Sir, I have been building a collection of original parts for a while now for several different firearms, but this does take time to find the right part in the right condition and price. I do business with Lodgewood, but was not aware of Ed Knisely, I will look into this. I know of S&S but have not traded with them yet. Discovering Whitacre's Machine Shop and Dunlap Woodcrafts was like winning the lottery for me as that is exactly what I was trying to find.
Glad I could help. We want to see it when you get it done. My 1816 is a mix of original and repro parts. Evans contract. Love to shoot it!!!

Sorry I deleted your post. I'm a newbie when it comes to smart phones. My pudgy fingers are not made for tiny keyboards. One day we need to sit down and discuss the Baker rifle. I've done a lot of research on the 95th (NOT SHARPE) and I've shot a Baker for 20 plus years.

Just as a bump to this, my project is still ongoing and yes I will post photos when complete.

I did want to note that I received my M1842 smooth bore barrel from Daniel Whitacre yesterday and am very happy with it. He did have one already made but added a bayonet lug for me. I sent him a check last week and 7 days latter the barrel arrived in the mail. I thank all again for the recommendation.

and @Peter Stines, thank you for the recommendation on Ed Knisely, he will be getting me the parts I need that the other trusted sources do not have.

Last big part for this build is the stock from Dunlap Woodcrafts, Im trying not to be intimidated with the finishing work that will be required for the stock.

Just as a bump to this, my project is still ongoing and yes I will post photos when complete.

I did want to note that I received my M1842 smooth bore barrel from Daniel Whitacre yesterday and am very happy with it. He did have one already made but added a bayonet lug for me. I sent him a check last week and 7 days latter the barrel arrived in the mail. I thank all again for the recommendation.

and @Peter Stines, thank you for the recommendation on Ed Knisely, he will be getting me the parts I need that the other trusted sources do not have.

Last big part for this build is the stock from Dunlap Woodcrafts, Im trying not to be intimidated with the finishing work that will be required for the stock.
Have you checked the Rifle shoppe?

Back