• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Vegetables Sour Kraut

18. sour kraut.
(from The United States Cook Book: A Complete Manual for Ladies, Housekeepers and Cooks, by William Vollmer, 1856)
1635442044163.png

Ingredients:

sour kraut​
good roast meat drippings​
soup stock​
good white wine​
optional for flavor...​
1-2 lbs. fresh pork​
to thicken...​
onion​
butter to fry onion​
flour​

Instructions:

Sour kraut is best when boiled very slowly for six hours with some good roast meat-drippings and the requisite quantity of soup-stock. A few minutes before dishing, pour over it some good white wine, and then send it to the table, with an accompaniment to suit your taste. It must be very soft and nearly quite dry. If a couple of pounds of fresh pork are boiled with the sour kraut, it will give it a nice flavor.​
If you wish to have the sour kraut thick, half an hour before dishing, stir into it an onion, cut fine, and fried in butter, with some flour, to a yellow colour.​
If the sour kraut is too acid, it must be washed in cold water before being thoroughly boiled.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Homemade sauerkraut is indeed excellent. You'll never eat store-bought again! I haven't made any for several years - my next best is Hebrew National's sauerkraut - but I do have an ample supply of cabbages. Think I'll pull out the sauerkraut barrel...if it can be found in my disasterous cellar!

p s
Make that crock!

Last edited:
We like to add a little Caraway Seed when cooking Pork & Sauerkraut. Grandmother used to make her own Sauerkraut in a barrel she kept in the cellar. Amazing woman! Raising all those kids, cooking, cleaning, gardening, putting-up jams jellies and preserves, canning vegetables and fruits...all without modern conveniences like a microwave, food processor, etc. Grandfather worked a distance away from home, returning home on weekends to be with his family. During the winter, sometimes the trip was so daunting that he no sooner got home and it was time to start back. Sorry about the off-topic. Perhaps Sauerkraut also is a nostalgia-type food to some...

Back