Sounds of Battle

huskerblitz

Major
I'm considering using these YouTube sound effects for a writing assignment when we get to the Civil War. Have students close their eyes, listen to what they are hearing. Change to the second one seamlessly and then have them write as a participant in battle.

I found it kind of cool when I did this earlier today. Listen to the first one. It's sounds of battle at a distant. Envision a soldier marching towards the battle. Then switch to the second one. Now you're in the heat of battle.

While I know it will not completely immerse one into what soldiers actually felt, I think it's a good reminder at least to understand the chaotic nature those men faced over 150 years ago.

The sounds alone, without up close visuals and smells, the weight of your gear, the fatigue from heat, marching and hunger, don't mean too much as they alone cannot be brought into perspective with fear, anxiety, etc....
As a reenactor participating in many National events with the sound all around me, I must say that the sound is not a major part of my memory, as much as listening for orders is....

I think you have a good idea and I do not mean to criticize, but I think the students need more than sound alone to "understand the chaotic nature those men faced over 150 years ago." Recorded sound alone does not project chaos......

So, how does one accurately teach that chaotic nature within the confines of a classroom?.......

I appreciate your asking this forum for opinions, and hope you don't take offense with me.

What I have always found interesting are the so-called acoustic shadows-where due to a bizaire combination of geography and weather patterns often prominent generals in visual range of battles hear little or nothing, and are thus convinced that no such fighting is actually going on. I just finished Sears's book on the Peninsula and it had effects on several battles. I believe I remember that it also featured at Gettysburg.

And that is what I'm limited to. I have a reenactor that comes with uniforms and props. But I'm limited to time and some content. I mean they let me fire off his Springfield and my Colts, but no pure blackpowder burns to show the amount of smoke and no kids touching the firearms, etc. It's the best I can do.

No worries on the thoughts. It's only one part of what we are doing this year for the Civil War.

What I have always found interesting are the so-called acoustic shadows-where due to a bizaire combination of geography and weather patterns often prominent generals in visual range of battles hear little or nothing, and are thus convinced that no such fighting is actually going on. I just finished Sears's book on the Peninsula and it had effects on several battles. I believe I remember that it also featured at Gettysburg.
America's Civil War magazine for March has an article on acoustic shadows.

What grade do you teach?

My unit (artillery) participates with Cav and Infantry units at a local Jr High School. The entire 8th grade visits the camps, and is treated to presentations. Then, they are divided up and participate in a "sham" battles. On Saturday, they return with their parents to go through the camps and have another "sham" battle.....It's kinda cool

8th grade is my early American history class. I bought a bunch of dowels so we do marching and basic line stuff.

This year they will be researching CW vets buried in surrounding cemeteries and compiling information to give to our local American Legion posts.

I LOVE the researching cemetery idea!!
I used to teach 8th grade.....a good age, I think!!.....I also taught GED to youth age 16 to 21 with criminal problems, and also taught Drug Prevention programs to Jr High and High School......
Indeed. I hoping it's good. We will look at their pre-war life, family life, occupation, etc. Then look at their experience in the war, regimental history, any letters or diaries, etc. They will map their movements through regimental information. I will use my access to Ancestry and Fold3 to help see if they were sick or wounded at any point in time. We will also look at their post-war life and any Homestead records they may have. They will also have to visit the cemetery and photograph the grave site. Also any G.A.R. information (which is limited in the state).

When we are done I hope the Legion posts will want to hang on to them. Then we could continue this next year until we have researched and collected info on all of the area CW vets.

I'm considering using these YouTube sound effects for a writing assignment when we get to the Civil War. Have students close their eyes, listen to what they are hearing. Change to the second one seamlessly and then have them write as a participant in battle.

I found it kind of cool when I did this earlier today. Listen to the first one. It's sounds of battle at a distant. Envision a soldier marching towards the battle. Then switch to the second one. Now you're in the heat of battle.

While I know it will not completely immerse one into what soldiers actually felt, I think it's a good reminder at least to understand the chaotic nature those men faced over 150 years ago.

The members of the Ninth Texas Cavalry, in June, 1863, were moving to Bolton, on the Southern Mississippi Railroad. "The Texans had been hearing cannonading (at Vicksburg) since reaching central Mississippi...When Sam first heard the cannonading, he asked the distance to Vicksburg and was told it was a hundred miles." ----All Afire to Fight (Story of the Ninth Texas Cavalry) by Martha L Crabb, 2000. Imagine how loud it was for the men in the trenches there. And this was kept up for 47 days.

That is an excellent way to teach history! Also, if time and circumstance allow, see how many have Civil War ancestors that they could also research.....
That's one of those extension things I'm hoping the kids will do on their own. Right now I think it's better to focus on local vets because of accessibility of records (I have a number of sources already compiled to assist). It would also take a lot of time and resources that we just don't have time for to search back into their history to find vets. We also have a few migrant students who wouldn't unlikely have any connection. At least this way I know all students have a person to research.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea. I'm just hoping a few will decide to look on their own time.

Back