Sophronia Meets Charley " McGee " , " If They Think It's Best To Shoot Me... "

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
soph dead house crop.jpg

Sophronia Bucklin, nurse, remembers marches to ' The Dead House ' extremely well, sharing this in her post-war memoirs. One man destined for one of those stretchers related his awfully narrow escape.

Anyone familiar with" The Cremation of Sam McGee "? "There are strange things done in the midnight sun. By the men who moil for gold " Grew up with Robert Service- Dad's favorite ( along with " Ice Worm Cocktail " ), read to us in character. When Sam dies in the Yukon ' moiling ' for gold his buddy determines a good cremation was the best send-off. The crematory bonfire revives an undead, frozen Sam, death is foiled.

Sophronia Bucklin ran into her Sam- a West Virginian named Charley, during her astonishing service as one of Dix's nurses. She saw ' war ' at it's most stark, tragic and brutal, there's little likelihood this is apocryphal. From her narrative on her service, " In Hospital and Camp ", a must read anyway.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=loc.ark:/13960/t4wh31320;view=1up;seq=3

soph charlie 1a.jpg

soph charlie 2a.jpg

# One

soph charlie 2b.jpg

And another-

soph charlie 3a.jpg

You hope he lived a very long life married to sweet woman, despite the damage to his nervous system. Can you imagine " YOU'RE FREE, CHARLEY! ".

Wow, if only Lincoln had known the outcome of his act of clemency. I suppose he never knew the whole story. Goes to show that sometimes we just don't know the full impact of our actions. I'm intrigued by the illustration you included in the post. Is that a dog lying beside the soldier on the stretcher in the foreground? (Or do I just imagine that I see dogs everywhere?) Do you have any details about the picture? Thanks!

Detail-To the Dead House.jpg

Wow, if only Lincoln had known the outcome of his act of clemency. I suppose he never knew the whole story. Goes to show that sometimes we just don't know the full impact of our actions. I'm intrigued by the illustration you included in the post. Is that a dog lying beside the soldier on the stretcher in the foreground? (Or do I just imagine that I see dogs everywhere?) Do you have any details about the picture? Thanks!

View attachment 207474
I believe you are correct!

Back