Sons of the Union

jonc1959

Cadet
This photograph shows my great grandfather, William Sprague Noyes (1858-1943), ctr., with two unidentified companions, dressed in their uniforms for a Sons of the Union function. William's father, Zina H. Noyes served in the 24th Maine Infantry. William appears to be in his 20s-30 here, so that would make the picture dated between 1880 & 1895-ish. The uniforms don't appear to be authentic; I don't know if they purchased "costumes" or not. Anyone else have info on this type of photograph?
Wm. Noyes In Center copy 2.jpgExpired Image Removed

Looks like regular "indian war"time period uniforms. Crossed rifles on their kepis. Breech block rifles. Looks like a copy of a tintype or a tintype. jmo

Jonc1959,

I don't believe that "costumes" would be the correct term. There were uniforms under the "GAR"/Grand Army of the Republic, to which had chapters/Camps. They were set up much like the Southern veteran groups.

There, in the GAR, it didn't matter what rank you held when in regular service, you were elected to a position and bestowed a commission for that position within that organization, with all the duties and responsibilities affixed to it. It would be like the VFW and American Legion posts today. These gentlemen may have been part of an honor guard.

Just some thoughts.

M. E. Wolf

Back