Songs of The Civil War Part 1, BBC Radio Archive, 1962

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Claude Bauer

Sergeant
Forum Host
Here's a BBC radio broadcast from 1962 on the songs of the Civil War combined with video of a reenactment in California from 2017. Wish they had more music and less narrative about the war in the soundtrack, but I guess they were providing context for their audience. Doesn't look like Part 2 is available on YouTube, but if it surfaces I'll post it--I searched the BBC archives, but don't see it.

"A century ago, but there are still people alive who can remember it taking place," the announcer says in 1962.

Last edited:

Mrs. V

Sergeant Major
Here's a BBC radio broadcast from 1962 on the songs of the Civil War combined with video of a reenactment in California from 2017. Wish they had more music and less narrative about the war in the soundtrack, but I guess they were providing context for their audience. Doesn't look like Part 2 is available on YouTube, but if it surfaces I'll post it--I searched the BBC archives, but don't see it.

"A century ago, but there are still people alive who can remember it taking place," the announcer says in 1962.
I’ll to listen to this later while I’m sewing. I am always looking for new music.

Claude Bauer

Sergeant
Forum Host
I’ll to listen to this later while I’m sewing. I am always looking for new music.
If you're already familiar with Civil War music, it probably doesn't have anything you haven't heard before, but it's interesting that the recording is now more than half a century old and was a 2-part series on the BBC.

It starts out with "Marching Along" but only plays some of it. Here's the whole song from another source: