1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

SOMETHING NEW

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by rhettbutler1865, Nov 13, 2017.

1. rhettbutler1865

rhettbutler1865 Colonel, CSA Cavalry Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Oh, I may get blasted for this (especially when so many have welcomed me back with my poor health--which I am very thankful for)...but it seems that many of the same subjects are being discussed, over and over again. We are no idiots--I have seen creative minds at work, to come up with NEW, interesting topics. Has anyone ever stated what THEY would like to know about the CW? I know there are lots of things I don't know, but would like to. Would you please share these questions/subjects? so we can add some SPARK to this wonderful forum? Thanks.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Drew

Drew Captain

It's good to hear from you and I won't blast you. Far from it.

I would like to know why cotton, the single largest source of American export income (over 50% in 1860) is never addressed by historians in any discussion of the North's wish to "preserve the Union."

4. TracyM61

TracyM61 Private

Being new to the ACW study, I may have, thus far, come to the wrong conclusion about this. But, here goes...

One of the things that's been on my mind, reading "Road to Disunion" by Freehling, is how much did Thomas Jefferson's reluctance to publicly denounce slavery impact the ever increasing Confederate State's intransigent stance on a pro-slavery confederation?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  5. huskerblitz

huskerblitz Captain Forum Host

I think this goes further back to Washington. Lafayette tried to get Washington to join his plan to free slaves in French Guiana but Washington refused. Washington told Lafayette he supported his idea, but he couldn't join him in the endeavor. While Washington later states he regretted being a slaveholder, in life he couldn't do it himself.

6. mofederal

mofederal 2nd Lieutenant Member of the Month

While I am interested in many areas and aspects of the war. My primary interest will always be Missouri, as there are plenty of mysteries there to explore, and I have questions and I would like to find answers for them. That said I would be open to new questions and ideas.

7. NH Civil War Gal

NH Civil War Gal Sergeant

I never thought about this - so please open a thread on it and we can all do some research and talk about it. That would be new and interesting. Great idea.

8. lelliott19

lelliott19 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

Hey @rhettbutler1865

Good to see you back on the board!!! Sorry to hear you have been under the weather and happy to know you are better!

A very Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
    Laura

9. 58th Virginia

58th Virginia Private

I was just saying the other day in the Jayhawkers thread that:

--"The extent of the extreme hateful violence out there in Kansas and Missouri has always puzzled me. I would like to learn more about the very beginnings of it."--

Although I did get an informative answer or two. But still would like to learn more in detail on the subject.

10. rhettbutler1865

Thank you so much, Laura. It means a lot to me. Remember when I first joined, and we had a bit of a courtroom discussion about my being wounded, as a Confederate cavalry Major at Gettysburg? (lol). You're great.

11. hanna260

hanna260 Sergeant Major

That's interesting- I wonder how that affected Reconstruction too . Since the South's economy was devastated after the war, what happened to the cotton exports? More analysis of the Southern economy would be interesting to me- particularly in regards to Northern interests.

Drew and NH Civil War Gal like this.
  12. rhettbutler1865

Yes! The cotton ! "We'll plant more cotton..it aughta go sky-high this year..." Scarlett O'Hara.

13. gary

gary Captain

I wonder if the settlers in Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas came from the Carolinas. If you look into the Carolinas of the American Revolution, the exact same thing happened back then with people using the war as an excuse to exact vengance against the other. God Save the King! or Liberty or death!

BTW, mark me down as a Quaker. Friend to all, enemy of none, a Switzerland within my own property line.

14. TerryB

TerryB Major

I've posted a few things on the war behind the lines in Tennessee. The Confederates, and Union for that matter, both had bands of guerrillas/partisans or whatever you want to call them. It's also true that the Confederates had a number of organized, official units other than Forrest and Wheeler who operated behind the lines. Even Morgan got in on the act at times. A little known aspect of this is that for two months in Sept-Oct 1862, Union occupied Nashville was totally surrounded by Confederate cavalry and partisan bands. During this so-called Siege of Nashville, Forrest actually attacked the city and engaged in an artillery duel with the guns of the fort on St Cloud Hill, later named Fort Negley. The attack was called off by Breckinridge, but Forrest, though sure he was winning, had been "ratted out" the night before, so the Federals knew he was coming. At the same time, Morgan was attacking railroad cars in another part of the city, but was halted by dug-in infantry. The attack stalled, and as noted, was called off.

This attack occurred in early Nov 1862, and within days, Federal troops from Bowling Green broke the siege.

rhettbutler1865 likes this.
  15. Specster

Specster First Sergeant

If you think the people here keep re-posting drivel, check out some of the other ACW websites. The are horrible, there are many many very good, knowledgeable people here

16. Specster

Specster First Sergeant

Welcome back

rhettbutler1865 likes this.
  17. Drew

Drew Captain

Alright, I'll do it. Give me a few days to gather some good sources - will try and get it done by the weekend.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)