Something New to See at the Starkville Civil War Arsenal

I have just put on display an original 24 Pdr. Field Howitzer Limber Chest. At present it is the only known one to have survived. If you can't make it to the museum to view the chest, you can see it online at StarkvilleCivilWarArsenal.com . Look at Featured Items on the Home page and click on 24 Pdr. Limber Chest to learn more about this historical artifact.

0.jpg
img-3350.jpg

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Wow - it's in beautiful shape! Wonder just HOW it survived all these years? A late friend of mine told of how he found and retrieved a limber chest from Bannerman's Island back in the 1950's - although standing in water from the leaky roof had rotted out the bottom, he was able to replace that and mount it on an original limber frame, pole and Gatling gun wheels to use with his 3' ordnance rifle he'd salvaged from a Montana fort and rebuilt for use during the Civil War Centennial.

Last edited:

redbob

Major
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
I have just put on display an original 24 Pdr. Field Howitzer Limber Chest. At present it is the only known one to have survived. If you can't make it to the museum to view the chest, you can see it online at StarkvilleCivilWarArsenal.com . Look at Featured Items on the Home page and click on 24 Pdr. Limber Chest to learn more about this historical artifact.

View attachment 397555View attachment 397556
Now, that is a real beauty and the most complete (and original) Limber Chest that I have ever seen. Congratulations.

ucvrelics

Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021

View attachment 397555View attachment 397556
Another fantastic piece. Thanks for sharing it with us.