Some Of The Long Arms And Their Bayonets.(pics Only)----- First Post.

drm2m

Sergeant
U.S. Model 1841 .54 cal (Mississippi Rifle) lock dated 1848 with saber bayonet.

DSC08740.jpg

Model1841Rifle003.jpg

DSC07606.jpg

U.S. Model 1842 Musket .69 cal smooth bore, lock dated 1843, with socket bayonet.

DSC08986-2.jpg

DSC08905-2.jpg

BayonetforModel1842MusketDSC03874.jpg

Model 1861 Rifle Musket, .58 cal, lock dated 1863,with Type 1 and Type 2 Model 1855 socket bayonets.

DSC08918.jpg

DSC08920.jpg

DSC04522.jpg

1855bayonetsmarkings009.jpg

David

Enfield P53 Rifle Musket, .58 cal, lock dated 1861, with socket bayonet.
(I ran out of photo space above)

BestDSC08898.jpg

resizedCopyofEnfieldlockplate.jpg

ResizedCopyofEnfieldbarrelmarking.jpg

Enfieldbayonetscabbardandfrog011.jpg

Some years ago I tried very hard to purchase the Model 1863 Type 1 rifle musket shown below...no luck the local Canadian seller had stars in his eyes.
He was not CW knowledgeable...so he was in a different world.
I guess that happens sometimes.
I suspect he will own this gun for a long time to come.
I was also interested in his Dingee marked cartridge box.

DSC07387.jpg

DSC07358.jpg

ManufacturedbyDingeeLoriganDSC07405.jpg

David

Thanks chuckltd and Johan for your kind comments.
It has been interesting collecting this stuff as a Canadian who has developed a great interest in this chapter of US history.

I am always puzzled when and how these pieces ended up in Canada...none of this stuff was purchased in the US.

David

Enfield P53 Rifle Musket, .58 cal, lock dated 1861, with socket bayonet.
(I ran out of photo space above)
Some years ago I tried very hard to purchase the Model 1863 Type 1 rifle musket shown below...no luck the local Canadian seller had stars in his eyes.
He was not CW knowledgeable...so he was in a different world.
I guess that happens sometimes.
I suspect he will own this gun for a long time to come.
I was also interested in his Dingee marked cartridge box.David

I really enjoyed looking at your fine collection David!

On the Tower, I noticed 5 links of chain that appeared to connect the hammer to the trigger guard and it has me puzzled as to it's purpose? Maybe some form of safety?

I have a Tower in storage that I haven't seen for several years and don't recollect any ways to put something like that on it?

Thanks for posting them, really good stuff!

Why would anyone want that extremely long knife bayonet on their musket? I can't imagine it being easy to aim with that thing attached.

Thanks Jon,

The chain is attached to a nipple protector.
I suspect it might be more of a Brit accessory than US...I purchased it after I purchased the gun.
The same thing for the sling which is not correct for a P-53 Enfield of the CW period.

Two different colored frogs for the P-53 bayonet scabbard...one dyed black the other not.
The two scabbards are somewhat different as well...I think.

Enfieldbayonetscabbardandfrog003.jpg

Iron Duke,

With the presence of troops marching with the light glistening off that long blade...perhaps it was meant for intimidation???

Virginia-Harpers-002.jpg

MississippiBayonetandscabbardrea-1.jpg

Then you have the other end of the size spectrum ------ the U.S. Navy Dahlgren knife bayonet.

The first Knife bladed bayonet is considered to be the Model 1861 for the Plymouth / Whitneyville rifle. It is perhaps better known by its nickname the Dahlgren Bowie Bayonet, named for it inventor Admiral John A. Dahlgren.

The Whitney "Plymouth" rifle, named after the U.S.S. PLYMOUTH, a naval ordnance testing ship which had been built under Dahlgren's supervision, has the distinction of being the only U.S. contract arm to be originally rifled in .69 caliber.

The Dahlgren knife bayonet was one of two bayonets associated with the Whitney Model 1861 Percussion Navy Rifle.

DSC04166.jpg

"DR" hilt marking for U.S. Navy Inspector Daniel Reynolds on this 1864 dated Dahlgren bayonet.

DahlgrenbayonetDRmarkingDanielReyno.jpg

DSC09306.jpg

These Dahlgren bayonets were manufactured by Ames, the same company that manufactured the swords.

DSC09301.jpg

An early Ames marking on a M1840 saber-dated 1845, with the earlier company identification;
N.P. Ames ,Cabotville....which eventually became Chicopee Mass. -----same place.
DSC09163.jpg

h51759.jpg

I guess this is what might make collecting ACW bayonets somewhat interesting.

David

drm said:
With the presence of troops marching with the light glistening off that long blade...perhaps it was meant for intimidation???

Notice that the rifle and bayonet stand taller than the man?

The nipple protector or "snap cap" was used during dry firing drill to prevent mushrooming
of the cone by repeated blows from the hammer. It was part of the accessories, like the
stopper (tompion).

Note the Enfield frogs do not have the little belt and buckle across the front, common
to so many reproductions and not found on originals.

Fine examples, David

The nipple protector or "snap cap" was used during dry firing drill to prevent mushrooming
of the cone by repeated blows from the hammer. It was part of the accessories, like the
stopper (tompion).

Note the Enfield frogs do not have the little belt and buckle across the front, common
to so many reproductions and not found on originals. Fine examples, David

Ah ha, now I understand much better! Thanks lots David and Craig!

Excellent post and photos. I would be very interested in what markings you may find on your 1861 dated Ptn. '53 Enfield.
Especially on the surfaces of the butt plate, and into the stock behind the trigger plate and in front of the butt plate in the wood.
You could possibly have a Confederate example which would add greatly to the value. The Confederate Enfield, and other English imported arms, have been the main focus of my collection for many years, and I'd be glad to share any information I might have.

The butt plate tang has an engraved Confederate Inventory number #1121.
On the stock behind the trigger plate there are traces of the JS Anchor markings.

ResizedCopyofEnfieldbuttplatemarkin.jpg

Trace%20of%20JS%20Anchor%20marking_zpscaljmvd9.jpg

# 1121 was ready for shipment from London in August 1861 and was in the number series initially purchased by Georgia.

Crate 57 with Enfields #1121-1140 is missing from the manifest of arms ready to be shipped from London. 1121 may have been on the Fingal as 7520 Enfields were aboard the Fingal when it arrived in Savannah.

A lot of this stuff I did not know about back in 2011 when I posted this thread ---I learned more in 2014 from a very helpful (C.S P53) expert that I was communicating with.

Last edited:
Back