Sherman Some of Sherman's Boys

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
Some images of the 21st Michigan Volunteer Infantry, a typical regiment of Sherman's Army. You see a wide variety of hats, different length trousers ( some rolled up ), one man wearing his cartridge box on his belt instead of the shoulder straps. They were formed in July, 1862 and sent to Kentucky in Sept., 1862 with 1,008 officers and men. The 21st served at the battles of Perryville, Stones River, Chickamauga, Chattanooga, the March to the Sea, the siege of Savannah, Bentonville, and Averasborough.

shermansmen.jpg

On the March to the Sea they were in the First Division of the 14th Corps, part of the left wing of the army under maj. gen. Henry Slocum. The regiment suffered 3 officers and 80 enlisted men who were killed in action or mortally wounded and 3 officers and 291 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 377 fatalities.

21stmich.jpg

I've noticed that many of the western Yankees in these old photos wear pull on boots similar to those popular today with rural Midwesterners. In the building trades in Illinois hands from Chicago usually wear lace up work boots but pull on work boots are very popular with hands from rural areas---Ottawa, Peoria and such.

IMG_4462.JPG

Last edited:
the soldiers that followed Sherman in his walk through Georgia were not taking because they had good fashion. He removed the shirkers the sick and the slackers . The boys that marched with Sherman were healthy veterans ready to do what ever it would take to and the war and they loved him. Uncle Billy

I'm not sure whether these guys are the 44th Indiana or 21st Michigan Infantry. I've noticed that the same men appear in two photographs, one with 21st Michigan written on the image and the other with 44th Indiana.

Photo labeled as the 21st Michigan.
21st Michigan 2.jpg

Photo labeled as the 44th Indiana.
44th indiana 2.jpg

Back