Some of my work now at Andersonville Historic Site library

John Winn

Lt. Colonel
Some of you may remember that I've researched all the Civil War veterans buried in the cemetery where I volunteer. In one case the project got expanded a bit because I discovered that one vet had a cousin with the same name who had also for a time lived in the same town in Oregon (both came out to live with their uncle) who was also a vet. For a short time I thought the information I was finding was for the same man but soon figured out there where two different vets with the same name in the same family. Anyway, I ended up researching the family at some length (and solving another little mystery in the process) and finding that the vet not buried in our cemetery was interred at Andersonville.

Now then, a friend suggested I contact Andersonville and see if they would like a copy of my work. I thought that a bit cheeky but was finally convinced to write their curator. Today I heard from the lead park ranger that they would, in fact, like a copy and so I sent them one. She said she'll be sending me an official receipt and supplying a call number.

I doubt anybody'll ever see it again but I'm still pleased it's part of the collection. Woohoo !

Some of you may remember that I've researched all the Civil War veterans buried in the cemetery where I volunteer. In one case the project got expanded a bit because I discovered that one vet had a cousin with the same name who had also for a time lived in the same town in Oregon (both came out to live with their uncle) who was also a vet. For a short time I thought the information I was finding was for the same man but soon figured out there where two different vets with the same name in the same family. Anyway, I ended up researching the family at some length (and solving another little mystery in the process) and finding that the vet not buried in our cemetery was interred at Andersonville.

Now then, a friend suggested I contact Andersonville and see if they would like a copy of my work. I thought that a bit cheeky but was finally convinced to write their curator. Today I heard from the lead park ranger that they would, in fact, like a copy and so I sent them one. She said she'll be sending me an official receipt and supplying a call number.

I doubt anybody'll ever see it again but I'm still pleased it's part of the collection. Woohoo !

Congratulations!

I was doing some research of Union prisoners captured at Fort Pillow, TN. I noticed on their website that the Park had material to help you research your ancestor. Then the webpage also added that if you had service records of your ancestor who was at Andersonville, then contact them as they were collecting a database on the prisoners.
I called and talked to a Ranger to get clarification. I drove down to deliver service records on 99 prisoners captured at Fort Pillow.

I was doing some research of Union prisoners captured at Fort Pillow, TN. I noticed on their website that the Park had material to help you research your ancestor. Then the webpage also added that if you had service records of your ancestor who was at Andersonville, then contact them as they were collecting a database on the prisoners.
I called and talked to a Ranger to get clarification. I drove down to deliver service records on 99 prisoners captured at Fort Pillow.

That's way cool ! You done good.

I've also sent the vet's service record and the wife's pension application file.

Great Job and I hope we get to see it when we visit Andersonville

Thank you very much but ... it's only five pages and not the great American novel. However, if you really wanted to see it I can send you a copy if you PM me an email address.

Being Type A I was happy to be able to also forward his service record which had an official order to correct his death date which obviously never happened as the National Cemetery records still have the incorrect one. I hope they'll now carry out that order.

That’s really great! Thank you for your diligence.

Great news, John. Nice to see research preserved and recognized.

Thank you very much but ... it's only five pages and not the great American novel. However, if you really wanted to see it I can send you a copy if you PM me an email address.

Being Type A I was happy to be able to also forward his service record which had an official order to correct his death date which obviously never happened as the National Cemetery records still have the incorrect one. I hope they'll now carry out that order.
PM sent.

Thank you for doing that. You never know who will find your research invaluable some day. I started off tracing a Civil War sailor and ended up trying to catalog every sailor who was held there.

Back