Some Mother's Sons

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
This got to me. Honestly do not feel I'm reading a ton into it when I say the men leaning on this sacred memorial they've built in farmer's field somewhere bear a resemblance, no? Perhaps elsewhere in our Archives exists a description countering my guess; having said that have read more than one description there which is just, plain wrong. ( Am not being critical, Good Grief, our Archives is a service to all of us, keeping these old things safe and accessible. Impossible for flawless identifications in so massive an undertaking. )

Have 3 brothers lost in our family, same family- in the war, JPK Huson at Gettysburg, Samuel at Shiloh, Calvin Jr., as a prisoner in Richmond. This photo? Gee whiz- 2 men who appear similar, a grave not merely a necessary, hurried interruption in Earth's surface like so many thousands but a loving tribute. Like these men just could not do enough- buried this soldier, whoever he is or was, genuinely laid him to rest, built a fence for his home and still lingered over him. Makes you happy the photographer could not bring himself to manage a shot of the men walking away. I don't know, do not think it's over-analyzing to feel there are brothers here in a family portrait of three, a mother somewhere too, part of her torn apart as completely as any amputation, sent to Eternity also behind a neat, wooden fence.

grave2.jpg

It's a great photo. I do wonder who he was to them that they took such care. A relative as you suggested, or possibly an officer. I wonder if the house in the background can be matched to any other photos.

Back