Some More Good News From Demopolis Alabama

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
@Buckeye Bill made my day with his post which reminded me I haven't shared the good news from the Great Metropolis of Demopolis, Al. Below is an update. Plus I was able to save a cannon ball from the pile of ruble back when it happened.:D

From The Demopolis Times
Damaged statue will be repaired at cost of $15,000 [UPDATED]

3254.jpg

By Robert Blankenship

Email the author

Published 9:17 am Wednesday, July 25, 2018

The Demopolis City Council on Thursday voted to move forward with repairs to a Confederate soldier statue that was damaged in 2016 when it was toppled from atop a downtown monument.

The discussion on the statue was continued from the previous meeting when the council asked Projects Manager Mike Baker to get more information on repair methods. The two bids the city received for the project each used different methods of repair.

Baker said he asked an expert in the field who concluded that the use of dowels would provide a longer life as compared to adhesive alone.

“In his opinion, the dowel would be a better fix. He said (the dowel) method would provide a longer life,” Baker said.

The two bids for the statue came in at $15,000 with the dowels and $5,600 using glue.

The council vote unanimously to award the bid to Doric South at $15,000 and use the dowel method of repair.

Since the statue is not being placed back on the monument it is not covered by insurance, meaning the city will pay the full amount for the repairs.

Baker said he asked an expert in the field who concluded that the use of dowels would provide a longer life as compared to adhesive alone.

“In his opinion, the dowel would be a better fix. He said (the dowel) method would provide a longer life,” Baker said.

The two bids for the statue came in at $15,000 with the dowels and $5,600 using glue.

The council vote unanimously to award the bid to Doric South at $15,000 and use the dowel method of repair.

Since the statue is not being placed back on the monument it is not covered by insurance, meaning the city will pay the full amount for the repairs.

The statue fell from the monument when it was struck by a police patrol car in the early morning hours in July 2016. The council recently approved a bid for the placement of a obelisk atop the statue. The Confederate soldier, once repaired, will be housed in the Marengo County History and Archive Museum.

Mayor Pro Tem Charles Jones led the Thursday’s meeting as Mayor John Laney was absent as he recovers from a medical procedure. Also absent from the meeting was Councilman Bill Meador.

The statue fell from the monument when it was struck by a police patrol car in the early morning hours in July 2016. The council recently approved a bid for the placement of a obelisk atop the statue. The Confederate soldier, once repaired, will be housed in the Marengo County History and Archive Museum.

Mayor Pro Tem Charles Jones led the Thursday’s meeting as Mayor John Laney was absent as he recovers from a medical procedure. Also absent from the meeting was Councilman Bill Meador.
from-instagrampng-fe9fb2aabb78226b.png

DSCN6819.JPG
DSCN6823.JPG
DSCN6824.JPG
DSCN6828.JPG
DSCN6829.JPG

The Confederate soldier, once repaired, will be housed in the Marengo County History and Archive Museum.
That is great news. Are there any Civil War artifacts on display at the museum that you know of?

That is great news. Are there any Civil War artifacts on display at the museum that you know of?

I'm in the middle of a project with the landowners where the CS camps is I'm excavating to put on LOAN all the CS relics I have excavated. We have meet with resistance in the past few years put that is changing. I'm a card carrying member of the MCHM and was invited to join the board but my Granddaddy told me at a very early age "Boy, Never be on a board or committee, as the 2 hump camel was originally a horse designed by a committee." But then my Grand Mama always told me "Richard, If you are not part of the solution, Your part of the problem" so I'm going to put a nice excavated display of "CW Demopolis History".:D

Did they all need to be rescued?
I imagine that if they hadn't been, they would have ended up in the dump otherwise and @ucvrelics.com is just the person to keep them safe until they can go home. After looking at the pictures, I would have hated to have been the wreck investigator that had to sort that mess out.

I'm in the middle of a project with the landowners where the CS camps is I'm excavating to put on LOAN all the CS relics I have excavated. We have meet with resistance in the past few years put that is changing. I'm a card carrying member of the MCHM and was invited to join the board but my Granddaddy told me at a very early age "Boy, Never be on a board or committee, as the 2 hump camel was originally a horse designed by a committee." But then my Grand Mama always told me "Richard, If you are not part of the solution, Your part of the problem" so I'm going to put a nice excavated display of "CW Demopolis History".:D
I have said many times that folks who donate or loan privately owned items for museum display are a godsend. Thank you sir.

I think this is happening is a great example of luck favoring the prepared mind. And we all know that UCVRelics certainly has a prepared mind when it comes to this stuff. Personally, I'm glad they were rehomed. :cautious: But if one needs a northern home, I'm prepared too - I have room! :sneaky: Just saying.

UPDATE. The statue was removed from its pedestal last week and is under going repairs. There we be a obelisk placed on top and everything else will remain the same. The CS Soldier will also be repaired and put in our museum. I hope they hurry and get it done so I don't have to rescue the cannons.:D

IMG_20180928_135406946_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180928_135429826-1.jpg
IMG_20180928_135441898.jpg

Back