Miniatures Some Michigan figures.

I think you are right about it being an Imrie Risley figure. A couple of years ago I stopped at the Toy Soldier shop in Detriot looking for uniform books the the shop had a large box of Imrie Risley they were getting rid of at have the list price. They were old and priced the same for 10-15 years so were a good deal at full price and at half price I should have pulled out my charge card and purchased a handful of them.
Imrie Risley made some nice figures back in the day. I visited their shop in Balston Spa , New York back in the 1990s . Very nice people . Unfortunately Bill Imrie died several years ago and the company went out of business a few years back. Their Civil War and Revolutionary War artillery kits are still excellent .

Excellent work! Do you have any from the 2nd Michigan Cavalry? I write novels about them.

I thought about it, but the problem is that I wanted to do their first issued uniforms and it is not completely clear what uniforms they were first issued. I am thinking dark blue roundabout with yellow trim, dark blue trousers, and a federal style hat. I am still not sure of the jacket as seen in the quote seen in my data base. Perhaps I could show a 2nd Michigan Cavalryman in a dark blue overcoat and then what his jacket was would not matter?

From my data base:

Although Frederick Todd claimed in his book American Military Equipage 1851-1872 volume II that all Michigan cavalry formations wore U.S. supplied all Michigan cavalry uniforms, the uniforms came from different locations.i For example the 1st​ Michigan Volunteer Cavalry Regiment received uniforms made in Cincinnati. A discussion on the 1st​ Michigan Cavalry appears in Cavalry section.

There are indications that some of the Michigan cavalry uniforms formed after the 1st​ Michigan Volunteer Cavalry Regiment received uniforms made in Michigan. Samuel Sykes & Company (Detroit) manufactured some of the Michigan cavalry regiment’s mounted jackets starting with the 2nd ​Michigan Volunteer Cavalry Regiment. Sykes & Company (Detroit) supplied 2,280 jackets and overcoats for the 2nd​ Michigan Cavalry a.k.a. Kellogg’s Cavalry Regiment.ii Three early war photographs of this regiment show that the jackets made by Sykes were very similar to federal issues cavalry jackets. All of the mounted jackets seen in period photographs of Michigan cavalrymen appear to be in the style of the normal federal issue mounted jackets.iii Some Michigan cavalrymen wore mounted jackets with a shorter collar with one line of false button hole trim. Although it is possible that jackets with short collars were issued, it is also possible that the men in the photographs had their collars shortened. Although these uniforms were made in Michigan it appears that the federal government paid for them. This uniform is described as dark blue pants without trimming of any kind, jackets or roundabouts of the same material trimmed with yellow: Black wool or felt hat with a “heap” of brass fixings on them and a black feather on the left side and the right side looped up. They were also issued a blue fatigue cap and a navy blue long skirted overcoats with over capes.iv

Besides the mounted jackets, Michigan cavalrymen were photographed wearing other types of jackets and coats. Some of the photographs show Michigan cavalrymen wearing dark blue nine-button jackets. It is not certain if these are infantry roundabouts acquired by a few cavalrymen or if nine-button jackets were issued to cavalry regiments. There are no known photographs of Michigan cavalryman wearing the state issued infantry five-button sack coat. There are photographs showing Michigan cavalrymen wearing federal style sack coats.

Before the end of 1861 federal government probably took over the task of supplying Michigan regiments with cavalry uniforms made in other cities. Once the federal government took over it would appear that the federal government issued the standard army mounted pattern uniforms to the remaining Michigan cavalry regiments. Where the federal supplied cavalry uniforms came from is not known and it should be noted that the federal government had over 11,868 uniforms made in Michigan and some of these could have been cavalry uniforms.

Sykes & Company not only supplied the jackets to the 2nd​ Michigan Volunteer Cavalry Regiment but also supplied that regiment’s trousers. In some photographs the trousers appear to be very dark, in fact much darker than the jackets.

Horses for the early cavalry regiments were purchased in Michigan. Saddles and other horse equipment were made in Michigan. Cullen Brown (Detroit), Duncan & Brothers (Detroit) and perhaps others were supplying saddles to the state at this time. The type of saddles issued to the Michigan cavalry regiments is not known.

i Todd, Frederick P., American Military Equipage 1851to 1872 volume II State Force, Chatham Square Press Inc., 1983, p. 919.
ii “Military Affairs in the State”, Detroit Daily Tribune morning ed., October 28 1861, p. 2, col. 2.
iii There is some indication that the collars on some Michigan cavalry jackets had only one laced false buttonhole.
iv Our Army Correspondence, Camp Anderson Grand Rapids, October 29th​ 1861, signed Satin, Van Buren County Press, p. 2, col. 2.

Very nice work, Major Bill! I look forward to seeing more.
Regards
David

A couple Union soldiers and a couple of Confederate soldiers.

a 1.jpg

a 2.jpg

Nice collection. The 83rd Pa. is definitely Imrie Risley . I have that figure myself. I think the drum major is too.

I am fairly sure both are Imrie Risley. The 2nd Maryland might be a New Hope figure? The 3rd New Jersey, if I remember right, was from a set of soldiers and came already painted. I touched up the paint.

Due to COVID I had some time to kill so a dug out some old Civil War figures and painted them up to be Michigan soldiers. To date I have completed 15.

View attachment 386345
I could use a bit more practice. Depending what figure I used some turned out fair and other not so good. Left is 4th Michigan Infantry and right is 1st Michigan Three Month Infantry.
View attachment 386346
Very nice! I am into gaming and figures myself. I am currently all about these 28mm Perry resin miniatures. Very nicely done.

Back