Some interesting insight to the Kennesaw Line and battle of July 27th,1864

I lived near Kennesaw Mountain and for a few years I had the pleasure of working there in the living history program.

I have read topic as the some things about what happened or has been passed down and thought I would inject a few thoughts to them in just one post.

First off, the lugging of the cannons up the main mountain, Kennesaw was not true. A path or road was found to be the way those cannons were carried to the top. After researching the O.R. and other published items, the time table was the main issue if the cannons were pushed, lugged up the steep traverse of the mountain. I'm not sure as to date here, I'm guessing in the mid 70's this was looked into by the then park historian Dan Brown and for the life of me the chief historian name I have forgot. But after searching and reading and air photos the road was found. Today you can still see the road as it crosses the paved road going up the mountain. You can follow the road path if you so choose by foot.

The Cheatham Hill view of today does not resemble what it looked like on the morning of the 27th of July in 1864. The bottom of the hill and upwards toward the Federal line was a very open terrain. So to really imagine the Federal troops marching toward the Confederate salient is very misleading if you look at it today.

There are some major entrenchments that have never been opened to the public. These were the trenches from Gen. Strahls of Hood's Corp before the Battle of Kolb’s Farm. We just called this place Strahls Fort. You can access it still but it is a very long walk. You also can enter it fairly quickly but you have to cross over private land to do so.

I remember spending more than a few nights camped out on top of Big Kennesaw. I was always in wonder to the darkness that you saw looking away from Marietta, now I can guess every which way you look now you see lights in the distance.

I have walked the complete trails from the visitor’s center, up Big Kennesaw across Little Kennesaw (We called in Rattlesnake Mountain) down to the bottom of Pigeon’s Hill.