Some help identifying a Rebel battery

Orion.M.E

Private
I was hoping that I could have some help finding out what the artillery battery’s of Chatham hill or dead angle from kenesaw mountain. Reason being was my ancestor Charles B. Wilson of the 34th Illinois infantry had been wounded in the right leg by artillery fire from one of the batteries at Cheatham hill. I’m trying to figure out which artillery had shot Charles because then I could likely figure out the man who wounded him.

Planning revenge? :wink:
Honestly I’m not planning on revenge against who ever blew up my ancestors leg, I’m just curious to finding out who blew up my ancestors leg, at least I believe it was blown up. Heck the war was intense and a lot of choices had to of been made, brother against brother. Quite unfair to treat a person for something they didn’t do. The only revenge I approve of was when this dog traveled a long distance to bite the owner who left him.

I'm going to tag @Luke Freet and James N. in the hopes they have some thoughts on this
What I do know was that Charles was in company A, and he was the skirmish line meaning he was at the very front of the March up the hill, likely meaning he was hit by a canister from a battery from the top of the hill.

1611166117326.png

I'm going to tag @Luke Freet and James N. in the hopes they have some thoughts on this
Unfortunately I can't read the text on the markers at the two Confederate battery positions I photographed at Cheatham Hill! The one above is located right at the Dead Angle, while the one below is a little farther north of it near the position of Granbury's and Lowery's brigades of Cleburne's Division. One of Don Troiani's prints, Thunder at Little Kennesaw, also depicts the action of a Confederate battery here.

1611166166632.png

View attachment 388399

Unfortunately I can't read the text on the markers at the two Confederate battery positions I photographed at Cheatham Hill! The one above is located right at the Dead Angle, while the one below is a little farther north of it near the position of Granbury's and Lowery's brigades of Cleburne's Division. One of Don Troiani's prints, Thunder at Little Kennesaw, also depicts the action of a Confederate battery here.

View attachment 388400
is there anyway i could possibly find out the people who operated these cannons?

1611166754317.png

is there anyway i could possibly find out the people who operated these cannons?
I believe these are your fellows at the Dead Angle; unfortunately I don't know anything about them.

View attachment 388402

I believe these are your fellows at the Dead Angle; unfortunately I don't know anything about them.
Thanks man, now I have a lead😁

View attachment 388399

View attachment 388400
By the way, is their a way i could identify the ones who fired the cannons from a rank? I’m not great with artillery ranks

View attachment 388402

Well I have the info of the guy in charge of the battery now,

CAPTAIN JOHN WOOD MEBANE,​

he was in charge of the battery that would of wounded Charles.

0CA404D3-E32F-4CE9-BBFC-63CB5661A357.jpeg

971DEFE7-6D75-47BD-A0FA-939A23D2E480.jpeg

The dude apparently got his head shot off after Charles got hit in the leg. Well how the tables have turned

The dude apparently got his head shot off after Charles got hit in the leg. Well how the tables have turned
so no need for revenge if I was trying to get some in the first place

Colorized the photo of the dude

E75383D6-712C-4023-BB8B-AB484E6A0B85.jpeg

By the way, is their a way i could identify the ones who fired the cannons from a rank? I’m not great with artillery ranks
Artillery batteries conform to infantry companies: commanded by a captain with two or three lieutenants (usually one per each section or pair of guns), an NCO First Sergeant who took care of paperwork, etc., and at least a sergeant overseeing each gun, its limber, caisson, and its limber and their gun crews, drivers, and teams of horses. The actual gun crews were supposed to be led by corporals who usually were the ones to sight the guns; a mere private was assigned to the duty of actually pulling the lanyard firing the gun.

Back