Period Some different kinds of Gingerbread, Chocolate and Prune

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
These recipes are from "Modern Priscilla Cook Book", Special Subscription Addition, 1924. Always enjoy gingerbread. These are one will have to try.

Chocolate Gingerbread

1/2 cup sour milk
1 cup molasses
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon mace
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon soda
2 cups flour
4 tablespoons grated chocolate
1/2 cups seeded raisins

Mix liquids. Combine all the other ingredients. Then add liquid. Pour mixture in greased and floured cake tin and bake in a moderate oven. Takes about 45 minutes. Temperature 350 degrees.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Prune Gingerbread

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup molasses
1 cup sour milk
1 cup chopped prunes
4 tablespoons melted drippings

Mix and sift dry ingredients, add molasses, sour milk, prunes and drippings. Beat well. Pour into shallow pan. Bake in a moderate oven.

Time in oven 30 minutes. Temperature 350 degrees.

Chocolate gingerbread is an interesting thought,I would imagine this would be quite good.the prune gingerbread I think I might pass on.
These recipes are from "Modern Priscilla Cook Book", Special Subscription Addition, 1924. Always enjoy gingerbread. These are one will have to try.

Chocolate Gingerbread

1/2 cup sour milk
1 cup molasses
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon mace
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon soda
2 cups flour
4 tablespoons grated chocolate
1/2 cups seeded raisins

Mix liquids. Combine all the other ingredients. Then add liquid. Pour mixture in greased and floured cake tin and bake in a moderate oven. Takes about 45 minutes. Temperature 350 degrees.

Anna Elizabeth Henry

2nd Lieutenant
Silver Patron
Prunes in gingerbread?! :cautious: I'm not sure I'd like that, but maybe it would surprise me. I can see chocolate gingerbread working out well. I've been enjoying pumpkin spice biscotti with a dark chocolate drizzle and it's an excellent pairing!

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Orange Spice Gingerbread Cake

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
Zest of two oranges
1 cup hot water

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch square pan.
In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg, and mix in the molasses.
In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Blend into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water. Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan before serving.

Note: May substitute dash of cayenne or 1/8 tsp black pepper for orange zest, or zest of 1 lemon

Eleanor Rose

1st Lieutenant
Since we're sharing gingerbread recipes, I have a few I can add. For starters...

Pear Gingerbread

Ingredients:
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus additional for the pan
1/2 cup Golden Syrup or honey - You can also substitute light molasses, but the Golden Syrup is what makes this great!
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 large egg
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
2 pears, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices (preferable Bosc)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch square or equivalent pan.

In a small saucepan, melt together the butter, syrup, and brown sugar over low heat. Gently stir to combine as the mixture melts. Set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture and combine with a few strokes of a wooden spoon, taking care not to overmix.

In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and yogurt. Add the egg mixture to the batter, and gently combine. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.

Lay the pears on top of the batter in a pinwheel shape. Bake until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the cake, 30 to 35 minutes.

Note: This cake actually tastes better on the second or third day.

(Pinterest)

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)