1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Some Cherokee Language from 1860 Georgia Gazzetteer

Discussion in 'Campfire Chat - General Discussions' started by Barrycdog, May 28, 2015.

1. Barrycdog

Barrycdog Major

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. southern blue

southern blue Sergeant

My cousin used to have a dog named Yonah.

Probably because she looked like a bear.

My father could speak a few words and he said his father was fairly fluent. I just know it involved a lot of grunt like noises that I could never duplicate.

Barrycdog and Awanita like this.
  4. Awanita

Awanita Corporal

These are being spelled with the English font, Yona would be spelled like that in Cherokee with the symbols most people that are trying to write it in English use the pronunciation Yo-nah Good morning Osdv sunalei Ohs-duh sue-nah-lay-e Tsistati pine torch....depending on the western or eastern dialect the Ts could be pronounced Ch or J so pine torch would be Jees-tah-tee or Ches-tah-tee. Horse soquili So- kwee -lee House Gah-lee-joe-day.
    I am guessing the writers were writing what they heard and it is a little different also there are no - when writing. The Tsalagi language is very interesting. Awanita is translated as young deer I am. Sorry not high jacking the thread it is just that My family on my mothers side are Tsalagi and my wife and I speak a mixture of it in our home. Nvwatohiyadv anadanvtli ali anadalv.( Peace brothers and sisters)

Barrycdog and southern blue like this.
  5. Awanita

Awanita Corporal

Nihi adadoda ale ududu kanegv Tsalagi, osdv. (Your father and Grandfather speak Cherokee, good.)

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Barrycdog and southern blue like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)