Longstreet Some “Modern” Pics of Longstreet’s Children

View attachment 168028
Lula Longstreet, courtesy of Georgia Life.

Since I am fascinated by all things General Longstreet, I have spent some time researching information about his children. I’m not sure how much interest others have in this aspect of his life, but I thought I would share some pictures I have found. I hope others will share anecdotes or information they may know as well.

Louise Longstreet Whelchel, nicknamed Lula by her family, was General Longstreet's youngest child. Born in Flynt, Michigan in 1872, Lula married Jasper Esten Whelchel and had several children. General Longstreet died in her house in Gainesville in 1904. Lula is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery located in Washington, DC. Her headstone reads: Louise Longstreet Whelchel. 1872 - 1957. Daughter of Lt. General James Longstreet, CSA. In Loving Memory.

Lula was named for her mother, Maria Louisa Longstreet. She was born while her mother was visiting her sister in Michigan. I have always found it a bit odd that Mrs. Longstreet traveled from New Orleans to Michigan (by steamboat) when she was so heavily pregnant. As far as I can tell, the General did not accompany her on the trip.
I think Lula was born in the summer. People who could afford to often left New Orleans in the summer because of mosquito-borne diseases, although I'm not sure they knew it was the mosquitoes at that point. Even if Louise was not thinking about malaria (or something else) she had to realize that it would be a lot more comfortable to be pregnant in Michigan than in New Orleans in July.

Great post with many pics I haven't ever seen.

When it comes to pictures in regards to Longstreet, I've always wondered about the huge difference between his appearance around the time of Fredericksburg and then later at Gettysburg. I don't know what vitamins or drugs he was taking.

Longstreet in December 1862

gods-and-generals-06.jpg

Longstreet in July 1863

gettysd.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely different interpretations of Longstreet. We saw more of him in Gettysburg than Gods and Generals. I liked Berenger's take, minus the hat. Not so many lines for him in G and G.

I read (somewhere) that Berenger was asked to come back for Gods and Generals, but he turned it down because the role was so small. His portrayal of Longstreet in Gettysburg probably did more to rehabilitate the General's image that anyone ever imagined it would.

Eleanor. The Longstreet family has a very interesting and intriguing family history. I agree with you that Fitz Randolph certainly does resemble his father. Are there any family members still living today? David.

His great-grandson, Dan Patterson, is still living. Dan's mother was Jamie, Fitz Randolph Longstreet's daughter. She is pictured in post #7. Dan is an active member of The Longstreet Society so I have been fortunate to learn some information from him over the past years.

Eleanor. Thanks for the information. Has anyone written a book on the Longstreet family genealogy? I think my next writing project might be something on General Longstreet. He is my favorite southern general. David.

If they have, I haven't discovered it and trust me I have looked. I love the notion that you might make General Longstreet the topic of a future writing project. Some of us have discussed in another thread how much we would like to see more written about him. I'm sure you would do a wonderful job David. I'm tagging @War Horse and @FarawayFriend because they may know more about the Longstreet family genealogy than I do. :smile:

There are several books out there, biographies of James Longstreet, and his uncle, Augustus Longstreet (@War Horse knows far more about that one), that will contain more of tge family history, but I don't know of a book that centers on him as husband and father. Probably because he kept his personal thoughts to himself and did not write much about his family life. There are simply too few sources.
John Garland Longstreet 1848-1918

Augustus Baldwin Longstreet 1850-1862

William Dent Longstreet 1853-1854

James Longstreet 1857-1862

Mary Anne Longstreet 1860-1862

Robert Lee Longstreet 1863-1940

James Longstreet Jr 1865-1922

Fitz Randolph Longstreet 1869-1951

Maria Louisa Longstreet (Lula) 1872-1957

One is missing. As I understand this child died shortly after birth and wasn't named.

Yes, a daughter, IIRC. We have thread somewhere discussing the number of his children.
Btw, I love that photo of his son you provided!

I read (somewhere) that Berenger was asked to come back for Gods and Generals, but he turned it down because the role was so small. His portrayal of Longstreet in Gettysburg probably did more to rehabilitate the General's image that anyone ever imagined it would.

I have read that Tom Berenger identified himself so much with Longstreet that even after filming during the day he wanted to be addressed as "General Longstreet" in the evenings. And he opened a pub in Beaufort, SC, where he lives, named after our General.

Last edited:
Definitely different interpretations of Longstreet. We saw more of him in Gettysburg than Gods and Generals. I liked Berenger's take, minus the hat. Not so many lines for him in G and G.
I think Bruce Boxleitner in Gods and Generals resembled Longstreet's large physique much better than Berenger. The director's cut of G and G has more Longstreet but certainly Berenger was given a lot more to do in Gettysburg. Apparently, Berenger really liked the part of Longstreet as he later named his production company 1st Corp Endeavours

If they have, I haven't discovered it and trust me I have looked. I love the notion that you might make General Longstreet the topic of a future writing project. Some of us have discussed in another thread how much we would like to see more written about him. I'm sure you would do a wonderful job David. I'm tagging @War Horse and @FarawayFriend because they may know more about the Longstreet family genealogy than I do. :smile:
Eleanor. As always Thank You. David.

John Garland Longstreet 1848-1918

Augustus Baldwin Longstreet 1850-1862

William Dent Longstreet 1853-1854

James Longstreet 1857-1862

Mary Anne Longstreet 1860-1862

Robert Lee Longstreet 1863-1940

James Longstreet Jr 1865-1922

Fitz Randolph Longstreet 1869-1951

Maria Louisa Longstreet (Lula) 1872-1957

One is missing. As I understand this child died shortly after birth and wasn't named.

Yes, a daughter, IIRC. We have thread somewhere discussing the number of his children

@Eleanor Rose and @christian soldier the missing child indeed was a daughter named Harriet Margaret. I have just found the thread where we talked about that missing child:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/the-generals-children.117548/page-2#post-1312479

And he opened a pub in Beaufort, SC, where he lives, named after our General.

correction my dear Far Away Friend. He may have a pub in SC but I know for certain he has one in Wilmington, NC.
During my 12 years living in Wilmington i visited the pub "several times". It was also well known for an historical artifact that could only be viewed by men at that time. Things have changed now so maybe this "artifact" can be viewed by anyone.
Here is a link to the pub.........dang Yelp reports it is closed!!!:cry:

Longstreet’s Irish Pub located alongside Orton’s Pool Room closed as well. The small cozy bar dates all the way back to the days of the Orton Hotel and Longstreet’s was the barber shop. The bar was once owned by actor Tom Berenger who portrayed General James Longstreet in the film “Gettysburg.”

LONGSTREETS-600x325.jpg

As for the "artifact" , I'll leave it up to everyone's imagination.

Last edited:
correction my dear Far Away Friend. He may have a pub in SC but I know for certain he has one in Wilmington, NC.
During my 12 years living in Wilmington i visited the pub "several times". It was also well known for an historical artifact that could only be viewed by men at that time. Things have changed now so maybe this "artifact" can be viewed by anyone.
Here is a link to the pub.........dang Yelp reports it is closed!!!:cry:

Longstreet’s Irish Pub located alongside Orton’s Pool Room closed as well. The small cozy bar dates all the way back to the days of the Orton Hotel and Longstreet’s was the barber shop. The bar was once owned by actor Tom Berenger who portrayed General James Longstreet in the film “Gettysburg.”

View attachment 169239

As for the "artifact" , I'll leave it up to everyone's imagination.

Now you got me biting my belly!! I have been to Wilmington last year - and I did not know this!!!!
I even wanted to convince Dirk that we drive to Beaufort, SC (we passed Beaufort, NC) but it would have lead us too far south. Oh my Gosh, what a missed chance!!!!!
I knew of Whistler's mother (of Mr. Bean fame) who had lived there, but had no idea about the Longstreet pub...
Well, thanks anyway...:wink:

Back