1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Some “Modern” Pics of Longstreet’s Children

Discussion in 'James Longstreet' started by Eleanor Rose, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose Sergeant Major

longstreet lulu.jpg
    Lula Longstreet, courtesy of Georgia Life.

Since I am fascinated by all things General Longstreet, I have spent some time researching information about his children. I’m not sure how much interest others have in this aspect of his life, but I thought I would share some pictures I have found. I hope others will share anecdotes or information they may know as well.

Louise Longstreet Whelchel, nicknamed Lula by her family, was General Longstreet's youngest child. Born in Flynt, Michigan in 1872, Lula married Jasper Esten Whelchel and had several children. General Longstreet died in her house in Gainesville in 1904. Lula is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery located in Washington, DC. Her headstone reads: Louise Longstreet Whelchel. 1872 - 1957. Daughter of Lt. General James Longstreet, CSA. In Loving Memory.

Lula was named for her mother, Maria Louisa Longstreet. She was born while her mother was visiting her sister in Michigan. I have always found it a bit odd that Mrs. Longstreet traveled from New Orleans to Michigan (by steamboat) when she was so heavily pregnant. As far as I can tell, the General did not accompany her on the trip.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Eleanor Rose

longstreet garland.jpg
    Garland Longstreet as a student at Virginia Military Institute.

John Garland Longstreet, known as Garland, was the oldest child of the General and Maria Louisa Longstreet. Garland was born in Carlisle, PA and named after his maternal grandfather, General John Garland. He was the sole survivor of the illness that overcame the other three children while living in Richmond in 1862. He attended Virginia Military Institute (Class of 1869) and studied architecture and engineering. He later managed the Piedmont Hotel for his father. Garland died in 1918 at age 69 and is buried in the Longstreet family plot at Alta Vista Cemetery in Gainesville, GA. Garland never married.

4. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Always enjoy information of family, wives and children of the Civil War generals. (Reason I say wives as some had 2 during lifetime as did Longstreet).

5. Cavalry Charger

Cavalry Charger 2nd Lieutenant

It does seem a bit odd if she had family closer by. If not, I think it was maybe not that uncommon for women to either travel to be with other female relatives, or for the relatives to come to them in preparation for the birth. I don't imagine it was unusual for the husband not to accompany the wife in the circumstances. Men were pretty 'hands off' in this era when it came to childbirth. I'd say Longstreet was probably following accepted customs, and the most important thing was his wife was safe and well cared for amongst family when her time came.

6. Eleanor Rose

This is Fitz Randolph Longstreet and his wife Zelia circa 1940. Even after Fitz Randolph's death, Zelia was a fierce defender of her famous father-in-law. His first wife, Josie, died in 1904 and he remarried in 1929. Their daughter Jamie, named for the General, was born a year later. Randolph was 61. He passed away in 1951. Jamie described her father as, "a farmer and loving father."

longstreet son.jpg
    Georgia Life

Fitz%2BRandolph%2BLongstreet2.jpg

Fitz Randolph Lee in 1929, courtesy of Georgia Life.

7. Cavalry Charger

He looks very distinguished @Eleanor Rose .

8. Eleanor Rose

This is Jamie Patterson, Fitz Randolph Longstreet's daughter, at the unveiling of the Longstreet statue in Gettysburg.

gettysburg2.JPG

Jamie is pictured on the far right in the picture below. This is circa 1946 and she is with family members, including Helen Longstreet (front center). Lula Longstreet Whelchel is standing beside Helen and it looks like Zelia Longstreet is behind Jamie.

A%2B(62).jpg

This is a picture of Jamie Longtsreet Patterson (standing behind the gravestone) and her son, Dan, at General Longstreet's gravesite. This was taken in 1969.

Aug1969m_edited.jpg

Source: The Civil War Pickett Blog

9. Eleanor Rose

I just read that Louisa stayed in Lynchburg, Va., with their children while General Longstreet made his home in New Orleans after the war ended. Apparently he kept his family in Virginia because of persistent fears of yellow fever in New Orleans. @War Horse and @FarawayFriend, have you read this before? I guess I can understand it since they lost three children to scarlet fever in Richmond. Still yet, it seems they would have wanted to make a home together after having spent so much time apart. This makes me sad for them both.

lelliott19, AnnaLee, JohnW. and 6 others like this.
  10. MaryDee

MaryDee Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Jamie Patterson with the Longstreet statue is looking rather critical, for which I don't blame her!

11. Eleanor Rose

This is Lula's (often referred to as Lulu) wedding announcement published in a west coast newspaper. I love it! I wonder if General Longstreet was there @FarawayFriend. It doesn't sound like it! Since Lula's mother had died, I guess elopement suited her best.

489&rotation=0&brightness=0&contrast=0&invert=0&ts=1512079914&h=5e64a0f3ad284fe9add5514d43c19919.jpg
    From the Daily Review in Hayward, California on Fri, Sep 6, 1895

12. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

I don't recall if I have explicitly read about the reason for that, but avoiding the Louisiana swamps breeding the risk of fever always seemed a reasonable decision to me. Although I have often wondered what Louisa has felt... as soon as she had her husband back, who must have still be suffering from the effects of his wound she was left alone again - but yes, the fear of losing yet another child must haveen overwhelming.

What a charming detail about Lula's wedding! I did not kow that!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    theoldman, lelliott19, JohnW. and 6 others like this.
  13. mofederal

mofederal 2nd Lieutenant

The armband Garland is wearing, I wonder who they are in mourning for? At least I assume it is a mourning armband.

14. christian soldier

christian soldier Sergeant

Eleanor. Thank you very much for sharing these very interesting Longstreet family pictures. What a distinguished looking family. David.

15. Eleanor Rose

Found one more pic of a young Fitz Randolph Longstreet. I think he looks like the General.

Fitz young.jpg
    Longstreet Society FB

Fitz Randolph Longstreet, the youngest son of Lt. Gen. James Longstreet and Maria Louisa, was born July 1, 1869.

16. Eleanor Rose

a-2b-62-jpg.168050.jpg

@FarawayFriend, that's Ben Ames Williams (author of House Divided) standing beside Helen.

17. Cavalry Charger

I thought this was interesting, as there seems to be little around Longstreet's first wife and they were married for over 40 years:

"In 1844, Longstreet met his future first wife Maria Louisa Garland, called Louise by her family. She was the daughter of Longstreet's commander, Lt. Col. Garland. Little is known of their courtship or marriage. Longstreet never once mentioned Louise in his memoirs, and there are no surviving letters between the two. Most anecdotes about their relationship come through the writings of Longstreet's second wife, Helen Dortch Longstreet".

It seems that most of what is known about the relationship between Longstreet and his first wife come via his second wife. It makes me wonder what the children's impression of their parent's relationship was, and apparently they didn't favour his second marriage. Could this be a reason for Longstreet's daughter eloping? Also, how did Longstreet's conversion impact on his marriage? In fact, how did his wife experience his change of heart after the war, and what impact did it have on their young family? So many questions...

A little more about the children who were lost, and the impact this had:

"Tragedy struck the Longstreet family in January 1862. A scarlet fever epidemic in Richmond, Virginia claimed the lives of his one-year-old daughter Mary Anne, his four-year-old son James, and eleven-year-old Augustus ("Gus"), all within a week. His 13-year-old son Garland almost succumbed. The losses were devastating for Longstreet and he became withdrawn, both personally and socially. In 1861 his headquarters were noted for parties, drinking, and poker games. After he returned from the funeral the headquarters social life became for a time more somber. He rarely drank, and his religious devotion increased.

In 1875, the Longstreet family left New Orleans with concerns over health and safety, returning to Gainesville, Georgia. By this time Louise had given birth to ten children, five of whom lived to adulthood."

Can anyone provide a list of the names and DOB's/deaths of General Longstreet's children? Just trying to pull all the info together in my mind!

Also a comparison for @Eleanor Rose 's image above - Longstreet circa 1862

James_Longstreet_crop.png

By E. & H. T. Anthony (publisher) - SMU Digital Collection, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=15124077

18. GELongstreet

GELongstreet 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

As usual, @Eleanor Rose, you´re finding awesome stuff! Thanks for posting those treasures.

19. Eleanor Rose

John Garland Longstreet 1848-1918

Augustus Baldwin Longstreet 1850-1862

William Dent Longstreet 1853-1854

James Longstreet 1857-1862

Mary Anne Longstreet 1860-1862

Robert Lee Longstreet 1863-1940

James Longstreet Jr 1865-1922

Fitz Randolph Longstreet 1869-1951

Maria Louisa Longstreet (Lula) 1872-1957

One is missing. As I understand this child died shortly after birth and wasn't named.

20. Cavalry Charger

Thanks, Ellie :smile: That's really helpful!

21. Eleanor Rose

Garland's obituary:

10962270_1462498148.jpg
    Find a Grave

donna, mofederal, theoldman and 4 others like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)