Soldier's Well & Confederate Hospital at Ettrick Va

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Does anyone know where the Confederate Hospital at Ettrick, VA was located? Ettrick is just across the Appomattox River from Petersburg (map below). Several sources say a Georgia Hospital was located there. I have a primary source stating that, during the June/July 1864 time frame, Kershaw's "Division Infirmary" was located at Ettrick.
upload_2017-7-4_23-53-37.png

Below is all I have been able to find online - sourced to a book entitled "Chesterfield County Early Architecture and Historic Sites" by Jeffrey M. O'Dell, Pub. 1983 by County of Chesterfield:

A large Confederate hospital was set up on the west side of the town...The bodies of the dead were placed in a large depression known as the "Soldiers Well." The winter of 1864-65 was bitterly cold, and many Ettrick residents made trips to the "well" to retrieve coats from the dead. http://news.rootsweb.com/th/read/VA-SOUTHSIDE/1998-05/0894113881-01
Has anyone ever heard of this hospital or know where the "Soldiers Well" is located?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Bumping - hoping for some additional information?

"Near Ettrick Cemetery was a depression known as the Soldiers Well where soldiers awaiting burial were placed until the ground thawed.”

The quote is sourced to William D Henderson's Petersburg in the Civil War: War at the Door

Anyone have a copy of the book? Is there any additional info about the "Soldier's Well"

DaveBrt

Sergeant Major
I'd contact the VSU Library's Special Collections unit to see if there was something mentioned in documents relating to the building of the campus and its buildings.

DaveBrt

Sergeant Major
I've read all the Ettrick entries in the LOC newspaper file from 1843 to 1885 and find only a little of use. Ettrick Cotton Factory was chartered and started business in 1842. By the time of the war, it was "by far the largest cotton factory in Petersburg." All but the machinery room burned to the ground in 1866 and was rebuilt in 1868. The 1866 employment was 300 at the time of the fire. The factory was close to the Appomattox River and there was an Ettrick canal to the factory. The town was mentioned in a Union soldiers newspaper in 1865 and being "quite a little town" and the site of a school for some 80 white children set up and run by the soldiers.

I know this does not exactly answer your question, but provides some info that might help make sense of other nuggets.

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Thanks @DaveBrt
I appreciate any and all information.
A simple notation in a diary has turned into one of those rabbit holes.........only problem is no one has ever seen this particular rabbit hole. :D

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)