Sojourner Truth, " Ain't I A Woman? ", 6 Feet Of All Our Truths

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Yeah. I resurface occasionally to say something. I have studied Mother Truth on and off. The Civil War monument in downtown Detroit has her sitting on it amongst soldiers and sailors. She's holding a wreath. I also visit her gravesite whenever possible.

Also addendum to my above remarks: Marcus Robinson was the official recorder (note taker/secretary) during the Ohio Women's Rights convention. I figure that his writings are more sustainable than Gage and Beecher and .... [brainfart - the woman who wrote the cookbook]. The three of them have left a mess (including proclaiming her dead when she was still upright and taking nourishment). Another addendum: Mother Truth wasn't an exact Quaker. She was more of a Seventh-Day Adventist and Evangelist and Non-denominational. She was a follower of John Harvey Kellogg -- thus explaining how she ended up in Battle Creek, Michigan. That's a hummm moment as the Mormons did not allow black membership until the 1970s. Today, the Mormon's maintain the upkeep of her gravesite. Overall, Mother Truth was a radical abolitionist and wholeheartedly embraced those principle. She's on my list of people I wish to have a conversation.

-Yulie

Well, we could sure use someone de-tangling her story. There's an awful lot of misinformation out there, between lazy history, carelessness and care less-ness. " Abolitionists " have become a big snore, which is SO bizarre- heck, before this state, PA, forgot where it came from, there was quite a bit of rubble here over the conversation. Dangerous, noisy conversation engaged in by unimaginably brave, endlessly tough people.

I don't know. Even trying to point out where on earth Sojourner was born becomes dragging a topic through mud, or a hedge, backwards. Really appreciate all the academia- anything to flesh out all 6 feet of her makes the past a lot shorter distance to travel, to meet her.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Mrs. V

First Sergeant
What an odd coincidence. I just recommended this speech to someone who teaches overseas. She teaches literature, and was talking about MLK’s “I have a dream” speech. (Persuasive Text). She had never heard of Sojourner Truth..

I remember reading this speech to a young lady at school. It was written in dialect, which I used. The student said to me that she had never heard it read that way before, and how it really made the passage come alive for her. I am white, and she was not. I like to do voices/accents where appropriate. I truely wish I could bring her speech to life for my presentation, but I am afraid someone would get their britches in a bunch.

Moses Hogan, the great arranger of Spirituals once said to our director, “Yes, sing it in the dialect. It is how the song is meant to be sung”. We do try, with varying degrees of sucess!

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
What an odd coincidence. I just recommended this speech to someone who teaches overseas. She teaches literature, and was talking about MLK’s “I have a dream” speech. (Persuasive Text). She had never heard of Sojourner Truth..

I remember reading this speech to a young lady at school. It was written in dialect, which I used. The student said to me that she had never heard it read that way before, and how it really made the passage come alive for her. I am white, and she was not. I like to do voices/accents where appropriate. I truely wish I could bring her speech to life for my presentation, but I am afraid someone would get their britches in a bunch.

Moses Hogan, the great arranger of Spirituals once said to our director, “Yes, sing it in the dialect. It is how the song is meant to be sung”. We do try, with varying degrees of sucess!

Well, the thing is, as Yulie pointed out the scholars have pounced on this- I should have, too- Mom's family having enlisted by the gazillion from exactly this background. Gee whiz. She'd have had a Dutch accent, if any. She was a northern woman, born enslaved, on a property owned by Dutch immigrants. I'm so sorry and it's my fault for having included the 1860's version here. Genuine Dutch, not the German Deutch, which becomes confused ( honestly cannot figure out why ). New Amsterdam settlersm wealthy ones, migrated out to these areas of New York from New Amsterdam- what no one mentions about New Amsterdam or early New York, really, is how much was built by enslaved. JPK's mother was born a ' Crego ', hers a ' Kipp '. all Netherlands- we're so familiar with the area and history it's ridiculous I missed Sojourner's accent.

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
With only a few days left in Black History Month, Sojourner Truth's story again. It was terrific having such a comprehensive conversation about her, one of our best.

Josephine Grffith wrote to a fellow abolitionist- there had been progress and of course Sojourner Truth was right in the middle, 1861. Posting snips because it's awfully long.

soj 1.JPG

But the tide turned- slowly, but it turned

so 2.JPG

This is awesome.
so 3.JPG

so 4.JPG

" The Battle of Sojourner is nearly fought "

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)