Smoke For The Cure Of Wounds

Barrycdog

Major
Southern Watchman, Jul. 6, 1864 -- page 1 .jpg

Southern Watchman, Jul. 6, 1864 -- page 1

The medieval doctors used smoke as a cure, couldn´t find a proper picture, but they had some really odd-looking masks.
Like this?

The "beak" contained strong smelling materials such as herbs or flower petals, sometimes smoking. The idea was not that the smoke cured but that it would keep the wearer from getting sick.

Medieval plague mask.
image.jpg

View attachment 61719

Southern Watchman, Jul. 6, 1864 -- page 1

I've also read somewhere that the phrase: "Blowing Smoke Up Your A **" has a basis in fact and practice.

The doctors did the blowing of the smoke. That is all I remember.

But just like the ripping out of every little kids tonsils or overprescribing antibiotics or trying to flood the US with psychoactive drugs....the medical profession has done some doozies and continue too.

But just like the ripping out of every little kids tonsils or overprescribing antibiotics or trying to flood the US with psychoactive drugs....the medical profession has done some doozies and continue too.

Not only the US. Here nearly every fidgeting kid unnerving the parents gets Ritalin against ADHS. Chemicals substituting discipline, in many cases. Don't get me wrong, if used responsibly these drugs sure are a blessing, but I see them used in abundance here. Seems to be more comfortable to have kids take a pill than to teach them to follow rules. And kids who learn that taking pills solves any problem will continue to do so as grown-ups. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.
But sorry, seems that I am abusing this thread.

As for the smoke, some alternative healers use "moxibustion", which is still pretty much the same, IMHO.
"Moxibustion is a traditional Chinese medicine technique that involves the burning of mugwort, a small, spongy herb, to facilitate healing. Moxibustion has been used throughout Asia for thousands of years; in fact, the actual Chinese character for acupuncture, translated literally, means "acupuncture-moxibustion." The purpose of moxibustion, as with most forms of traditional Chinese medicine, is to strengthen the blood, stimulate the flow of qi, and maintain general health."
See here:
http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/abc/moxibustion.php

Here nearly every fidgeting kid unnerving the parents gets Ritalin against ADHS. Chemicals substituting discipline, in many cases

US Children Do Not Get Enough Active Play!
Wear the little buggers out I say! Restore time on the playground and don't let any small kids sit around.
Who cares if Common Core wants kindergartners to read if they cant even sit still?

Had to fight with the school board years ago because one 6th grade teacher wanted to give almost every boy Ritalin.
My son was only a little fidgety. Some were worse.

I saw this teacher fight a family of friends for a whole year trying to medicate their boy and also she didn't like the boy and made his year miserable.

I went to a board meeting and asked what they were going to do about this teacher. " Nothing", seemed to be the reply. Then the mother of the other boy explained how her son had been mistreated for a whole school year. When that mother began to cry in distress...the all male board finally softened up a little and agreed to at least keep and eye on the teacher.

No medicine for either boy. Both are fine young men. And outgrew any fidgets.

When my father was a teenager (late 1940s), he and his friends were out in the country somewhere and he cut his foot open. They had no first aid kit, but an African American woman living nearby helped patch him up, and put ash into the cut, maybe to help the blood clot. It healed up just fine, except that he has a little blue spot on his foot from the ash, to this day.

Fascinating--if it really does work. I've heard of using honey and sugar in wounds (and to this day, some Florida cattlemen pack a prolapsed cow uterus with sugar when re-inserting it), but never smoke. The reason it might work is floating just at the edge of my mind...and eluding me. Fascinating...just fascinating.

I wonder when that survey on doctors smoking was. I know every doctor I go to now, hates smoking and is always telling their patients not to smoke. They have signs up and literature in the office on bad health effects of smoking.
--------------------
That ad is from a magi zone published around the mid-1950's or so. Cigarettes were advertised in about every magi zone published in the US & most every TV show until they were banned sometime in the mid 60's as studies by the US Goverment Health Dept. were released showing the health dangers of tobacco & linking tobacco to cancer.
I'm not sure what % of doctors smoked back in the 50's but the only advice I remember from our family doctor was "smoking will stunt your growth."

I wonder if there is a real medical reason for this so if there is a doctor out there let us know.

Back