Smithsonian Magazine and Reevaluation of Mary Todd Lincoln’s Oft-Misunderstood Grief

DBF

Sergeant Major
Thanks for posting the link to this article. I’ve always been intrigued with the number of children’s death before the advent of “modern” medicine. It seems so many families suffered at least one infant death and some families even more, and it is often reported as just another “fact of life” in that time period. Each death was tragic no matter what the age.

I can’t even begin to imagine what it must of been like to witness your husband’s murder. Not to mention as he was dying: “she had been banished from the president’s bedside by a furious Secretary of War Edwin Stanton, who kicked her out of the room when she began to cry hysterically. Nearby, her husband was dying—but his wife of 23 years wouldn’t be there to see it” {*}. I believe it was easier to label a woman as “crazy” instead of getting to the “whys”.

It’s been said “there is nothing new under the sun” and Mary Lincoln as First Lady suffers the same fate as most First Lady’s with all the arrows in the quivers pointed at them.​

{*}https://www.history.com/news/mary-todd-lincoln-assassination-facts