* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1576821639925.png
1576821680031.png
1576821745038.png

Smith's Battery has not received in history full credit for the heroic and valuable work done by its members at Gettysburg. I was at that time First Sergeant of Co H, 124th N. Y. I saw the battery come down Rock Run Glen. The guns were unlimbered at the foot of Rock Ridge and hauled up the steep acclivity into position among the rocks on its crest, and the battery was soon engaged in a hot duel with the rebel batteries on the heights beyond the Peach Orchard. Under cover of the Confederate fire Longstreet's Corps, massed in battle-lines eight or ten deep, moved in confident, rapid attack to our position. The battery changed from shell to canister and, working as I never saw gunners work before or since, tore gap after gap through the ranks of the advancing foe.
1576822907229.png

All this time the gallant Captain and his men were exposed to the direct fire of Longstreet's sharpshooters and his front line. Every round of ammunition had to be carried from the foot of the ridge. Man after man went down, but still the exhausting work went steadily on, the officers tirelessly falling in to fill out a working detail for the guns, and keeping up a well-directed fire until the enemy was at the base of the heights and the guns could no longer be depressed to reach him. Then, knowing that the greatly superior force would overwhelm us and capture the guns unless checked, Col. Ellis of the 124th, after a few rapid words with Maj. Cromwell, ordered a charge.
1576887921362.png

Source:The National Tribune., February 04, 1886, page 1.
@infomanpa @Wallyfish @rpkennedy @Tom Elmore this map might have some information that will add to your discussion in the Devil's Den Defense thread? Or it may muck it up even more? https://civilwartalk.com/threads/devils-dens-defense.166457/#post-2169711 There are several more accounts. This seems to be just one in an ongoing exchange between A W Tucker, 124th NY, Adjutant Peter B Ayars, 99th PA, and Thomas Bradley, 124th NY and includes some private letters between Tucker and Smith. I'll post the various accounts as time allows.

Last edited:
View attachment 339218View attachment 339219View attachment 339220
Smith's Battery has not received in history full credit for the heroic and valuable work done by its members at Gettysburg. I was at that time First Sergeant of Co H, 124th N. Y. I saw the battery come down Rock Run Glen. The guns were unlimbered at the foot of Rock Ridge and hauled up the steep acclivity into position among the rocks on its crest, and the battery was soon engaged in a hot duel with the rebel batteries on the heights beyond the Peach Orchard. Under cover of the Confederate fire Longstreet's Corps, massed in battle-lines eight or ten deep, moved in confident, rapid attack to our position. The battery changed from shell to canister and, working as I never saw gunners work before or since, tore gap after gap through the ranks of the advancing foe.
View attachment 339221
All this time the gallant Captain and his men were exposed to the direct fire of Longstreet's sharpshooters and his front line. Every round of ammunition had to be carried from the foot of the ridge. Man after man went down, but still the exhausting work went steadily on, the officers tirelessly falling in to fill out a working detail for the guns, and keeping up a well-directed fire until the enemy was at the base of the heights and the guns could no longer be depressed to reach him. Then, knowing that the greatly superior force would overwhelm us and capture the guns unless checked, Col. Ellis of the 124th, after a few rapid words with Maj. Cromwell, ordered a charge. <to be continued>

Source:The National Tribune., February 04, 1886, page 1.
@infomanpa @Wallyfish @rpkennedy @Tom Elmore this map might have some information that will add to your discussion in the Devil's Den Defense thread? Or it may muck it up even more? https://civilwartalk.com/threads/devils-dens-defense.166457/#post-2169711 There are several more accounts. This seems to be just one in an ongoing exchange between A W Tucker, 124th NY, Adjutant Bayers, 99th PA, and Thomas Bradley, 124th NY and includes some private letters between Tucker and Smith. I'll post the various accounts as time allows.

That's not a terrible map but it does consolidate a number of locations as well as confusing Anderson's Brigade with a conglomeration of units from Law's, Robertson's, and Benning's Brigades. Plus, there is zero chance that Captain Smith's rear section was directly east of his position.

I would definitely like to see the correspondence between Tucker, Bayers, Bradley, and Smith.

Ryan

I would definitely like to see the correspondence between Tucker, Bayers, Bradley, and Smith.
This account from A W Tucker, Co B, 124th NY seems to be the one that initiated the exchange. Here's an excerpt:

I can only speak of what actually occurred in front of Co. B, which was on the extreme left of the regiment [124th NY], and in the immediate vicinity. We lay still until the enemy reached Smith's guns which were not 50 feet away, when Col. Ellis have the order to up and fire. There was never a more destructive volley fired. It seemed to paralyze their whole line. We hardly had time to fire the second shot before Col. Ellis gave the command to "Charge bayonets! Forward; double-quick --March!"

Col. Ellis was mounted on a large, iron-gray horse; Lieut-Col Cummins was dismounted. These brave officers led the charge on the right and center, while Maj. Cromwell, being also mounted, with equal heroism rode around Co. B on the left and in front of the regiment. With such officers to lead them, the "Orange Blossoms" responded with a defiant cheer, and made as gallant and heroic a dash as the pages of history record. The rebel lines withered. They ran like frightened sheep. Where the left of the regiment charged it was fully 200 yards to a rail fence, behind which were two other lines the enemy. They did not halt until within the lines of their support, where they were rallied by their officers.
1576886653176.png

1576889855618.png

The National Tribune., January 21, 1886, pages 1-2.

Last edited:
This account from A W Tucker, Co B, 124th NY seems to be the one that initiated the exchange. Here's an excerpt:

I can only speak of what actually occurred in front of Co. B, which was on the extreme left of the regiment [124th NY], and in the immediate vicinity. We lay still until the enemy reached Smith's guns which were not 50 feet away, when Col. Ellis have the order to up and fire. There was never a more destructive volley fired. It seemed to paralyze their whole line. We hardly had time to fire the second shot before Col. Ellis gave the command to "Charge bayonets! Forward; double-quick --March!"

Col. Ellis was mounted on a large, iron-gray horse; Lieut-Col Cummins was dismounted. These brave officers led the charge on the right and center, while Maj. Cromwell, being also mounted, with equal heroism rode around Co. B on the left and in front of the regiment. With such officers to lead them, the "Orange Blossoms" responded with a defiant cheer, and made as gallant and heroic a dash as the pages of history record. The rebel lines withered. They ran like frightened sheep. Where the left of the regiment charged it was fully 200 yards to a rail fence, behind which were two other lines the enemy. They did not halt until within the lines of their support, where they were rallied by their officers.
View attachment 339343

View attachment 339350
The National Tribune., January 21, 1886, pages 1-2.

Laura, this article supplies several critical details: First, the 124th New York initially moved out of the woods onto the "open, rocky ridge." Second, Smith was posted "two rods [33 feet] to the left and in front of Co. B, of our regiment." Third, that in response to Confederate artillery fire, Col. Ellis moved the regiment by the right flank back into the woods, but soon returned by the left flank to their former position [in the open, creating the 100 yard gap again with the 86th New York], where it was exposed to Confederate artillery fire. Colonel Ellis allowed the Texans to approach Smith's guns before ordering the 124th "to up and fire" [the men were presumably lying down until that moment], then ordered a charge. Company B was then fully 200 yards from a rail fence, which I interpret as being the mixed rail/rock fence comprising the western border of the triangular field. At this moment Benning's brigade would have been moving up to that fence - the enemy "pouring out in vast numbers" from the Den "not more than 150 yards from us, on our left flank, and opened an enfilading fire" - which I figure refers to the 17th Georgia reaching the bluff that overlooked the full length of the 124th in the triangular field (see attached map). Thanks for sharing the article.

Attachments

• Wheatfield1710A.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Laura, this article supplies several critical details: First, the 124th New York initially moved out of the woods...
Wow! That's awesome! Thanks so much for attaching your excellent map. You know I had some trouble understanding what he was saying until I saw the map!!! I'll try to post the correspondence between Smith and Tucker and/or Adjustant Ayers account later today. Thanks again Tom.

I found Smith's own account and will post it later!!! In the meantime, here's an excerpt of the account by Adjutant Peter B Ayars of the 99th Pennsylvania:

...from Emmittsburg to Gettysburg, 12 miles, with the thermometer certainly up among the nineties, with only one stop a breathing spell of about 15 minutes. Men fell by the roadside by the score from the effects of the terrible heat. The water in the canteens was almost steaming hot, and I only remember of having passed one small stream in all that march. @Tom Elmore for your heat stroke records

...Early the next morning the formation was changed by placing the 40th NY (?) on the right of the brigade, the 20th IN next, joined by the 3rd and 4th ME all in the woods to the right of Devil's Den. Next came the 124th NY ("Orange Blossoms") at the edge of the Wheatfield, and then our own old 99th PA on the left, directly across Devil's Den, and towards Little Round Top. The formation had hardly been completed....
1577119445908.png

[The National Tribune., February 04, 1886, page 1.]

And here's the excerpt of the letter between Capt. Smith and A W Tucker of the 124th New York
1577119118086.png

The National Tribune., February 04, 1886, page 1.

Last edited:
And here is Smith's account, apparently submitted in reply to the others since it appears in the March 4, 1886 issue.

....The writer was asked by the Chief of Third Corps artillery "if he could hold out for 30 minutes more." We had been engaged for over two hours. When driven from the crest three guns were left in position to make a show of defense after removing implements and ammunition. The result of this was their loss, but it did not expose our weakness. Had the guns been run to the rear when it was possible to save them, the enemy would have been encouraged and very likely would have made a more vigorous charge, which we were not in condition to repel. As it was, the three guns on the crest were between the lines, and were not removed by the enemy until some time during the night. The remainder of the battery occupied a hillock more in the rear, and from that position raked the Plum Run gorge until Haslett's [sic] guns thundered from the summit of Little Round Top....

This part of the battle has been fully explained, while the defense of Devil's Den for nearly three hours, from the time the first gun was fired until the charge was made, checked and held under a fire of canister that made it difficult for the officers in command to keep their lines steady, as yet is an unwritten history....
1577124011091.png

The National Tribune., March 04, 1886, page 3.

Last edited:
No help from Adjutant Ayars of the 99th Pennsylvania regarding their fighting on July 2, but useful in fixing the 99th near the Angle on July 3, toward the very end of Pickett's charge. The 99th actually assisted Battery C, not G, of the 5th U.S. (Lt. Weir), which came into position in time to fire at the backs of the retreating Virginians.

However, Tucker's account is helpful in describing how the greatly diminished 124th New York sought cover toward their right after falling back from their charge into the triangular field, widening the gap with Smith's three guns. But it was the 4th Maine that moved up by the right oblique to reassert Federal control over those guns before the Union position collapsed for good.

But it was the 4th Maine that moved up by the right oblique to reassert Federal control over those guns before the Union position collapsed for good.
Funny that you mention the 4th Maine. The next account comes from Pvt. Ephraim D. Tasker (F/4ME). Don't worry; there are plenty more. :D

...Gen Birney, our old brigade commander, in person marched the 4th Me directly to the left and rear of your battery, the right of the regiment overlapping the battery and connecting with the left of the 124th NY. I heard the General tell our Colonel to hold the position as long as he had one man left. This was about 8 o'clock am. Our regiment numbered present 230 men, but 30 were sent to the left into the woods, as a picket-line, and were not engaged. Very soon Hood's division moved against that portion of the lines, and a terrible artillery duel took place. Capt. Smith's battery got short of men, so he was unable to work all of his guns to their full capacity, and several of my company were sent to him to do what they could to help him keep them at work....
1577136289840.png

The National Tribune., June 17, 1886, page 2.

Back