Handguns Tell me more! Smith & Wesson Number 1 Revolver

bobinwmass

Sergeant
Just picked this up at a local antique shop this morning. I think it is a Model 1 Second Issue .22 caliber 7 shot revolver. Does have some problems with the cylinder not rotating properly, but it has great eye appeal with lots of silver finish and bluing remaining, and great finish on the grips. What also caught my interest was the "2D QUAL'TY" markings on both sides of the barrel flat. Think i read somewhere that while these guns were sold at a discount then, they bring a premium now. Despite not working properly, it will look great in the collection and hopefully $225 was not a bad price. Are there any ways to clean some of those rust spots without harming the bluing?

20210309_105057.jpg

20210309_104928.jpg

20210309_104616.jpg

20210309_105007.jpg

20210309_104706.jpg

You may want to look up Mark Novak on YouTube, he is a gunsmith and has many videos about how to restore vintage arms without ruining the original finish.
I'm not sure about working with a silver finish, but over the years I have worked on many old military weapons, my method for getting rust off an blued finish is to use a copper disc, ( pre 1984 pennies work) like a copper washer with sharp edges sanded off, and machine oil.
Put a few drops of machine oil on the rusty spots, lightly rub the oil into the rusty areas with the copper penny or washer.

I would leave the silver plating just as it is. It looks good and you won't be able to improve its appearance. As for the blued parts I like to use a stainless steel carding wheel, run at a low speed (approx 800 rpm), on a variable speed bench motor. The wheel is soft enough as to not harm the blue yet removes the rust. The bristles are .003 inches in diameter and nearly as soft as a toothbrush.
20210309_135713.jpg

20210309_135931.jpg

20210309_140054.jpg

Just picked this up at a local antique shop this morning. I think it is a Model 1 Second Issue .22 caliber 7 shot revolver. Does have some problems with the cylinder not rotating properly, but it has great eye appeal with lots of silver finish and bluing remaining, and great finish on the grips. What also caught my interest was the "2D QUAL'TY" markings on both sides of the barrel flat. Think i read somewhere that while these guns were sold at a discount then, they bring a premium now. Despite not working properly, it will look great in the collection and hopefully $225 was not a bad price. Are there any ways to clean some of those rust spots without harming the bluing?

View attachment 393742

View attachment 393743

View attachment 393744

View attachment 393745

View attachment 393747
Nice piece. There were only 4402 of the "factory seconds" marked with the 2nd quality and sold.

I'm not sure about working with a silver finish, but over the years I have worked on many old military weapons, my method for getting rust off an blued finish is to use a copper disc, ( pre 1984 pennies work) like a copper washer with sharp edges sanded off, and machine oil.
Put a few drops of machine oil on the rusty spots, lightly rub the oil into the rusty areas with the copper penny or washer.

The US Mint started using zinc planchets for Lincoln Cents partway through 1982 and is still using them.

Regards,

Jim

Back