Small carpentry and farming tools

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
I recently received from my parents a small collection of old carpentry and farming tools that were used on my great-grandfather's farm (perhaps also his father's). I've made some tentative identifications... wondering if someone here could better identify them?

Tools.jpg

#1 is evidently some sort of horse or mule collar; I know that Great-Grandpa had both on his farm.
#2 - a wooden mallet of some kind.
#3 - I really don't know what this is, but it might be part of a harness or yoke.
#4 - A plane or adze? -- Maybe a mould plane?
#5, #6, and #7 are mysterious small wooden implements. 6 seems to be some sort of gauge.
#8 - clearly a plane

#9 got included in this collection by mistake some time ago-- it's an old wooden nutcracker instead of a farm or woodworking implement.

I'm going to be donating them to the historical society near where Great-Grandpa's farm was... just curious as to what some of these things are. (I was also given the metal sign that went on his market stall, but I'm keeping that...)

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
I recently received from my parents a small collection of old carpentry and farming tools that were used on my great-grandfather's farm (perhaps also his father's). I've made some tentative identifications... wondering if someone here could better identify them?

View attachment 190635

#1 is evidently some sort of horse or mule collar; I know that Great-Grandpa had both on his farm.
#2 - a wooden mallet of some kind.
#3 - I really don't know what this is, but it might be part of a harness or yoke.
#4 - A plane or adze? -- Maybe a mould plane?
#5, #6, and #7 are mysterious small wooden implements. 6 seems to be some sort of gauge.
#8 - clearly a plane

#9 got included in this collection by mistake some time ago-- it's an old wooden nutcracker instead of a farm or woodworking implement.

I'm going to be donating them to the historical society near where Great-Grandpa's farm was... just curious as to what some of these things are. (I was also given the metal sign that went on his market stall, but I'm keeping that...)
1 I don't believe that is a horse or cattle collar but I don't know what it is off hand.
2 is your typical wooden mallet in use from the time of Christ if not well before.
3 almost looks like a scraper or perhaps a winding stick but I can't see it very well on my phone.
4 is a small plane.
5 looks like a small mallet/club.
6 is a user made carpenters gauge.
7... I have no idea.

@frankconrad has far more expertise than I hopefully he can give a better idea.

Mark
1 is some kind of poke for small cattle or large goat. To go around the neck to help keep them in the fence or a cow from sucking herself.

3 is a little hard to tell from the picture, may be a hide scraper or used to work leather to soften after tanning?
5 is a darning ball to use when darning socks.
6 is a marking gauge there should be pin on one end of the bar which is used to make a mark parallel to the edge of a board,
you adjust the distance from the edge, by moving the fence.
7 I have no idea.
Otherwise Johan is correct.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)