Slavery in Colonial America and Early Northern States?

peteanddelmar

2nd Lieutenant
Any good suggestions? I've read 3 slave narratives. 2 from the south, 1 from earlier northern states.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. It's a subject I've been pretty naïve about.

Except for that one narrative I would have never known there were ever slaves in the North

I am also sadly surprised at the amount of mistreatment of blacks by the Union army officers. And men.

I would like to read about the migration and treatment of ex slaves into the border and northern states also.

Ill start with ebooks. But would like better reading when I can find it.

Thanks Philip

brass napoleon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Member of the Year
Honored Fallen Comrade
You can find info on slavery in NY here:

http://slavenorth.com/newyork.htm

Slavenorth is an extremely biased site that is known to twist and misrepresent facts and post quotes wildly and deliberately out of context. While the blogger starts with a kernel of truth, he grossly exaggerates them to promote his agenda.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Try these sources:
Peter Kolchin, American Slavery, 1619-1877
Stanley M. Elkins, Slavery: A Problem in American Institutional & Intellectual Life
Ira Berlin, Many Thousands Gone: The First Two Centuries of Slavery in North America
Ira Berlin, Generations of Captivity: A History of African-American Slaves
William Dudley, Editor, American Slavery
David Brion Davis, Inhuman Bondage: The Rise and Fall of Slavery in the New World
David Brion Davis, The Problem of Slavery in Western Culture
David Brion Davis, The Problem of Slavery in the Age of Revolution, 1770-1823
David Brion Davis, Slavery and Human Progress
David Eltis, The Rise of African Slavery in the Americas
Edmund S. Morgan, American Slavery, American Freedom: The Ordeal of Colonial Virginia

I echo what Brass said about the slavenorth website.

peteanddelmar

2nd Lieutenant
Try these sources:
Peter Kolchin, American Slavery, 1619-1877
Stanley M. Elkins, Slavery: A Problem in American Institutional & Intellectual Life
Ira Berlin, Many Thousands Gone: The First Two Centuries of Slavery in North America
Ira Berlin, Generations of Captivity: A History of African-American Slaves
William Dudley, Editor, American Slavery
David Brion Davis, Inhuman Bondage: The Rise and Fall of Slavery in the New World
David Brion Davis, The Problem of Slavery in Western Culture
David Brion Davis, The Problem of Slavery in the Age of Revolution, 1770-1823
David Brion Davis, Slavery and Human Progress
David Eltis, The Rise of African Slavery in the Americas
Edmund S. Morgan, American Slavery, American Freedom: The Ordeal of Colonial Virginia

I echo what Brass said about the slavenorth website.

Is that all you can suggest? LOL. Now, understand I'm no neoconfederate. But I just want to understand the issue as it truly existed in the North. I know it was not connected to the civil war. But more and more I am realizing the scope of American slavery, everywhere.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Is that all you can suggest? LOL.

But wait, there's more!

Barbara L. Solow, Slavery and the Rise of the Atlantic System
Winthrop D. Jordan, The White Man's Burden: Historical Origins of Racism in the United States
Roger Bruns, Editor, Am I Not A Man and A Brother: The Antislavery Crusade of Revolutionary America, 1688-1788
Matthew Mason, Slavery & Politics in the Early American Republic
Arthur Zilversmit, The First Emancipation: The Abolition of Slavery in the North

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Slavenorth is an extremely biased site that is known to twist and misrepresent facts and post quotes wildly and deliberately out of context. While the blogger starts with a kernel of truth, he grossly exaggerates them to promote his agenda.
Sorry. I was only familiar with the article on New York.

kevikens

2nd Lieutenant
I live in New Jersey (not my fault) and I have noticed a genuine reluctance of publications on the state's history to delve very deeply into this matter. Few residents know that in the 1860 census there were still a few enslaved residents of the state. When NJ got around to legislating on the issue in 1803 they established a gradual emancipation that actually left a few in slavery up until Southern secession. I wish the OP much luck in researching this and we all look forward to hearing about the more interesting facts he discovers.

W. Richardson

Captain
A few more sources...........

Edgar J. McManus, Black Bondage in the North
Lorenzo J. Greene, The Negro In Colonial New England
Donald D. Wax, Negro Imports Into Pennsylvania, 1720-1766, Pennsylvania History XXXII
William Johnston, Slavery in Rhode Island, 1755-1776
John C. Hurd, The Law of Freedom and Bondage in the United States, 2 Vols.
Edward R. Turner, The Negro in Pennsylvania

Cash's sources are great..........Read all you can on the subject, any subject for that matter and then decide for yourself.

Respectfully,

William

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Do not feel bad about that, many people do not realize there were slaves in the North............It is a subject, that isn't spoke of often............:wink:

Respectfully,

William
As I have written elsewhere, it is only in the last three decades that slavery in New York has gotten a lot of discussion. For example, the creation of the African Burial Ground in Manhattan, the 2005 exhibit on Slavery in NY at the New-York Historical Society have raised awareness, but they are pretty recent. It was not taught when I was in school.

W. Richardson

Captain
As I have written elsewhere, it is only in the last three decades that slavery in New York has gotten a lot of discussion. For example, the creation of the African Burial Ground in Manhattan, the 2005 exhibit on Slavery in NY at the New-York Historical Society have raised awareness, but they are pretty recent. It was not taught when I was in school.

Thank you Pat, yes recently more is being published on slavery in the North. It was not taught when I was in school, and honestly I am not sure it is being taught in school presently. I have spoken to many teenagers and young adults and they seem astonished there had been slavery in the North. Most thought is was a.....Southern thing only.......lol

Respectfully,

William

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Thank you Pat, yes recently more is being published on slavery in the North. It was not taught when I was in school, and honestly I am not sure it is being taught in school presently. I have spoken to many teenagers and young adults and they seem astonished there had been slavery in the North. Most thought is was a.....Southern thing only.......lol

Respectfully,

William
When I occassionally encountered slavery in NY when I was younger, the slaves described were often house servants, often brought by merchants from the West Indies. It is only more recently that a lot of us have learned that slaves formed a large part of the agricultural workforce in what is now Brooklyn.

BillO

Captain
I appreciate the assistance lending and exchange of knowledge on this thread.
Posted as moderator.
I gave you a like. It's nice to see a mod say something nice once and a while.
I've never visited this site and don't doubt a bit that the author has an agenda. Most do. But I would still give it a look cause even a blind hog can find an acorn once and a while. But be careful because just like Neo, once you go down the rabbit hole and start to try putting your own interpretation on things there is no telling where you might wind up.

JerseyBart

Brigadier General
Forum Host
I gave you a like. It's nice to see a mod say something nice once and a while.

I've never visited this site and don't doubt a bit that the author has an agenda. Most do. But I would still give it a look cause even a blind hog can find an acorn once and a while. But be careful because just like Neo, once you go down the rabbit hole and start to try putting your own interpretation on things there is no telling where you might wind up.
Like back at you. :smile: