Slave-Holders Knew Secession Was Doomed To Failure

Dead Parrott

Sergeant
I think many slave holders were blind enough for some of them to consider the way to be perpetual and forever.
Lubliner.

They certainly knew their institution was under attack, and likely to lose in future voting.

So the ones in power started a war to spread it, and dragged hundreds of thousands of Americans, North and South, unnecessarily to their graves.

They were scum.

Piedone

Sergeant
Where do you suppose that trope came from? Like I said, I have seen it trotted out over & over again & recognize where it came from.
As so often we are talking about completely different things - you were talking about people that misused the quoted quotation and hence implicitely alluded to a possibility that @19thGeorgia could have been motivated by such an idea.
I see no base for that.

Rhea Cole

1st Lieutenant
As so often we are talking about completely different things - you were talking about people that misused the quoted quotation and hence implicitely alluded to a possibility that @19thGeorgia could have been motivated by such an idea.
I see no base for that.
Have you read up on the 1st SC? Without that there is no way anyone can understand how it became a trope. At that point there will be no need to question me.

Rhea Cole

1st Lieutenant
Discredit? Their unwillingness to serve an invader is much to their credit. Read Union General Saxon's report. He pretty much confirms what Higginson said.

Perhaps we should have a thread entitled "Black Southerners and the Union Cause." (hint @Andersonh1)
Obviously you have not read the relevant history of the war on the barrier islands. My scholarship onthe subject includes my wife’s g-g-great in the 3rd GA. who was a veteran of the disastrous loss of the barrier islands. Our family trips to Daufuskie Island provided ample opportunity to explore the history of that fascinating coast first hand.

I don’t know who the “we” is you refer to. Here on CWT there are numerous threads on the USCT & the contribution of self liberated people to the Union war effort. We have covered that subject comprehensively. I recommend you avail yourself of them.

Lubliner

Captain
Forum Host
I do know it is a very interesting read in the Official Records regarding all the barrier islands from Savannah up to Charleston, and further to Wilmington. These islands were usually deserted by the confederates and still had plantations maintained by the negroes. The Union would send out reconnaissance in force to find out how well guarded and what open waterways were viable, as well as the populations remaining. It is well worth the time to read from the first real foothold onward about the area around St. Helens Island. Whatever the trope or the allusion I am clueless, and no nothing of the USCT troops mentioned. Seems rather a trivial complaint for me without further explanation.
Lubliner.