Skirmish in the Ghost Town of Denhamville (GA)

Southron

Sergeant
Denhamville, Georgia was burned down in November of 1864 by the NSSA's own, 149th New York during Sherman's Tour of Georgia. Denhamville had a Tannery and shoe factory that produced shoes, saddles, harnesses and even leather gear for the Confederate armies. The factory complex employed 200 workers who were mostly German immigrants. The workers and their families lived in the town.

Last weekend we (the 24th Georgia) hosted a Skirmish at Denhamville. Note that we always host a BB Gun Match for the kids (future Skirmishers!) Here is the link to the pictures of that Skirmish on another BB.

By the way-WE DON'T GIVE MEDALS to match winners, but Secession Badges: Blue or Gold Secession Badges for 1st Place, Red Secession Badges for 2nd Place and White Secession Badges for 3rd Place-everyone seems to like them, including the Yankees that win them!!!

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php/topic,1791.0.html

Southron
His Honor
The Mayor of Denhamville

I didn't realize how proud my 11 year old Grandson was of the medals he won in N-SSA BB Gun Competition until an old friend came by to see us. My Grandson dragged out all 11 of the Medals he has won in competition and proudly displayed them to her!

Never heard of that battle. I did a reenctment at Tarrytown near Soperton near Darien. There was a tornado that blew the roof off the post office. It blew the wall tent down. I survived the Tarrytown Tornado

If you go through the Official Records, Sherman wanted to unite the two wings of his army at Eatonton. Eatonton is a few miles West of Denhamville and about 25 miles North of the then state capitol of Milledgeville. Obviously, Sherman thought that there was a possibility that Joe Brown would rally the state militia and fight a battle at or near Eatonton.

Of course, Joe Brown was too intent of fleeing Milledgeville before the Yankees showed up-so the "Battle of Eatonton" never took place.

Joseph Addison Turner, who lived on Turnwold Plantation approximately 3 miles from Denhamville (as the crow flies) did hear a lot of firing when the Yankees were at Denhamville-he assumed a battle was taking place. After the Yankees pulled out he went over to Denhamville and discovered the firing was the livestock being slaughtered by the Yankees. By the way, Turner was the employer of a young boy named Joel Chandler Harris. Harris grew up to write the "Uncle Remus" stories he heard on Turnwold as a boy.

Back