ENDED Size 6 or 6.5- brogans or boots

Trader history (0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollyhutch

Cadet
I am looking for a pair of Brogans or other boots that I can wear. I am new to the reenactment world and I'm on an artillery crew, the few events that I have gone to I have just worn my modern boots. But I'd like to find something more period correct. I would prefer the best pair I can find for as little money as possible. I am fine with New or Used brogans or boots, It has been hard to find some for smaller feet.
Thank you! You can email me at: [email protected]

You look rather young... are you still growing, or are you all growed up? The reason I ask is simple. My sons are both beginning reenactors. My oldest is already in a size 11, so he got a pair of 12 brogans which should last him a good, long while. His little brother, just 13, is wearing a pair of black suede 'desert boots' until he finishes growing. The reason? Brogans are expensive, and to replace a pair every few months seems a waste of money. One can take a pair of 'desert boots' and accurize them pretty easily. Add leather to the soles, put in a few hob nails and a pair of heel plates, and use a pair of leather laces... voila! The toes still won't be squared, but I've even seen some folks go through the trouble of doing that, but I find it unnecessary if you're going to wind up replacing them quickly.

Hope this helps!

You look rather young... are you still growing, or are you all growed up? The reason I ask is simple. My sons are both beginning reenactors. My oldest is already in a size 11, so he got a pair of 12 brogans which should last him a good, long while. His little brother, just 13, is wearing a pair of black suede 'desert boots' until he finishes growing. The reason? Brogans are expensive, and to replace a pair every few months seems a waste of money. One can take a pair of 'desert boots' and accurize them pretty easily. Add leather to the soles, put in a few hob nails and a pair of heel plates, and use a pair of leather laces... voila! The toes still won't be squared, but I've even seen some folks go through the trouble of doing that, but I find it unnecessary if you're going to wind up replacing them quickly.

Hope this helps!

I am finished growing as far as I know (Although people tell me that I look "All of 12 years old", I'm actually 17) :smile: I am a female reenactor who would rather be on the field in uniform than in a hoop skirt. However that does make it particularly difficult to find mens brogans that fit a womens size 8-8.5.
Thank you for the help!!

Welcome to the world of reenacting! Try some of the 'discount' Civil War suppliers. I know Pakistani made reenactment supplies get a bad rap, and I also realize that good footwear is a must in the field, but to find such a small pair at an affordable price may be difficult otherwise. I've seen some of the Pakistani suppliers offering brogans in kids sizes (sorry...) so you might have some luck.

Another option is to call Missouri Boot and Shoe Company and explain your situation. They are a great group of folks, and might be able to hook you up with an authentic pair for a good price. Doesn't hurt to try...

Let us know how things turn out.

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby from South Florida and the Reenactors Forum. Missouri Boot and Shoe are top of the line and will custom make them to your size, I have a pair and they are awesome, but they are going to be pricey, about $200. I did a little looking around and Regimental Quartermaster has them in your size and their stuff is usually decent quality and I've had a pair of shoes from them before and they were fine. https://regtqm.com/product/m1851-pattern-brogan-pegged/ C&C sutlery had them a little cheaper but started at size 7. Here is another link that was posted on another thread here for brogans cheaper than anywhere else I saw and had them in 6 but I know nothing about their quality http://leatherpace.com/civil-war-products/civil-war-footwear-and-amp-brogans/leather-brogan.html Remember though that you get what you pay for but I fully understand at 17 the budget is tight, I remember those days. Another option is be patient and keep your eyes open for blanket sales at events and find a pair of used ones.

Leatherpace, mentioned by @captaindrew, is a Pakistani manufacturer of better-than-average CW imports. I say they're worth a try.
Thanks Pete, they've been mentioned here before but I'm not familiar with them at all. They have shoes in size 6 for $39. Don't think she'll find a better price anywhere even for a decent pair of used. For a 17 year old on a tight budget might be up her ally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back