Miniatures Sixth Mississippi at Rhea Field, Shiloh, April 6, 1862

FPT

Private
I created this scene based on Rick Reeves's painting of the Sixth Mississippi's charge at Rhea Field, Shiloh. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the actual title of the painting. It might possibly be the Bloody Sixth At Shiloh.

Figures are all 22MM Musket Miniatures.

tumblr_pj2vx2jhRB1tg8jkro1_1280.jpg

20180405_125249.jpg

20180405_105539.jpg

20180407_175752.jpg

20180405_130945.jpg

20180405_132212.jpg

fullsizeoutput_8f9.jpeg

20180405_125741.jpg

Image 4-6-18 at 10.28 PM.jpg

20180406_175059.jpg

20180405_111822.jpg

20180405_112516.jpg

20180405_104227.jpg

20180406_183614.jpg

Nice groundwork and a great scene. I'm not familiar with Musket Miniatures, are they metal figures ?.
Yes, the figures are pewter. Musket Miniatures began in Broomfield, CO in the late eighties, early nineties. Jim McCarron, the original owner, sold the business in 2015 and retired. The new owner is based out of California. After some fits and starts, the business seems to now be running good. Following is the web site: musketminiatures.biz

A little known fact is the camp the 6th is pictured in was that of the 53rd Ohio. The 53rd is famous or infamous for being the regiment commanded by Colonel Jesse Appler. The Ohioians were creating great havouc amongst the Mississippians (70% casualties) till Appler cried for them to fall back. 2 companies of the 53rd retained cohesion and joined other Union regiments in the Southern sector of the Shiloh battlefield that bloody Sunday.
Really nice work with your figures !
Regards
David

22mm equals what in inches?? Something like 1/48 or 1/72 scale?
22MM would normally convert to about 1/72.

I have attached a photo comparing various figures and sizes. Refer to plasticsoldierreview.com for info about the plastic figures.

From left to right:
1. K&L (formerly Thomas), metal, 20MM.
2. Musket Miniatures, metal, 22MM.
3. Airfix Wagon Train, plastic, 22MM.
4. Imex Confederate Infantry, plastic, 24MM.
5. Imex Alamo Defenders, plastic, 23MM.
6. Esci Confederate Infantry, plastic, 24MM.
7. Strelets Confederate Infantry Standing, plastic, 23.5MM.
8. Italeri Union Infantry, plastic, 24MM.
9. Accurate (Revel) Union Pioneers, plastic, 25MM.

Supposedly all of these figures should convert to 1/72 or HO scale, but they don't. The various sizes makes it hard, at least for me, to mix and match figures from different manufacturers.
Note: Compare the Esci figure with the Strelets figure and you question how the Esci figure can be bigger. Now look at the height of the base of the Esci figure; that is what makes up the difference.

As you can tell I have most of the 1/72 (HO) ACW plastic figures available, but I prefer Musket Miniatures figures because of the variety of figures it offers.

Disclosure: As a sideline in retirement (in between rounds of golf and traveling in the RV), I do paint figures for Musket Miniatures that it offers for sale, however, I do not do it for profit. I paint figures for Musket Miniatures for the enjoyment I get and the creativity it allows me. Also, I think that with its variety and quality of figures and poses, Musket Miniatures has the best 22MM [HO] figures out there.
[ musketminiatures.biz ]

Regards.

FPT

20200617_084756.jpg

I created this scene based on Rick Reeves's painting of the Sixth Mississippi's charge at Rhea Field, Shiloh. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the actual title of the painting. It might possibly be the Bloody Sixth At Shiloh.

Figures are all 22MM Musket Miniatures.

View attachment 362460

View attachment 362463

View attachment 362464

View attachment 362465

View attachment 362466

View attachment 362467

View attachment 362468

View attachment 362469

View attachment 362470

View attachment 362471

View attachment 362472

View attachment 362473

View attachment 362474

View attachment 362475
Well done. Great photos. I am working on a display, but it will not match the quality of this one. Thanks for sharing and giving me ideas to improve mine. Maybe one day I will post it.

22MM would normally convert to about 1/72.

I have attached a photo comparing various figures and sizes. Refer to plasticsoldierreview.com for info about the plastic figures.

From left to right:
1. K&L (formerly Thomas), metal, 20MM.
2. Musket Miniatures, metal, 22MM.
3. Airfix Wagon Train, plastic, 22MM.
4. Imex Confederate Infantry, plastic, 24MM.
5. Imex Alamo Defenders, plastic, 23MM.
6. Esci Confederate Infantry, plastic, 24MM.
7. Strelets Confederate Infantry Standing, plastic, 23.5MM.
8. Italeri Union Infantry, plastic, 24MM.
9. Accurate (Revel) Union Pioneers, plastic, 25MM.

Supposedly all of these figures should convert to 1/72 or HO scale, but they don't. The various sizes makes it hard, at least for me, to mix and match figures from different manufacturers.
Note: Compare the Esci figure with the Strelets figure and you question how the Esci figure can be bigger. Now look at the height of the base of the Esci figure; that is what makes up the difference.

As you can tell I have most of the 1/72 (HO) ACW plastic figures available, but I prefer Musket Miniatures figures because of the variety of figures it offers.

Disclosure: As a sideline in retirement (in between rounds of golf and traveling in the RV), I do paint figures for Musket Miniatures that it offers for sale, however, I do not do it for profit. I paint figures for Musket Miniatures for the enjoyment I get and the creativity it allows me. Also, I think that with its variety and quality of figures and poses, Musket Miniatures has the best 22MM [HO] figures out there.
[ musketminiatures.biz ]

Regards.

FPT

View attachment 362747
This is not uncommon among figure manufacturers . Some claiming to be 1/32 (54mm) are more like 1/30th and I have some 1/24th figures from Fer that are REALLY out of scale . I would think if you put the smaller ones in the back of your dioramas you would be fine . Really well done . I would struggle painting 1/72nd even with my optivisor . Nice to see your work and I hope you post more dioramas .

Well done. Great photos. I am working on a display, but it will not match the quality of this one. Thanks for sharing and giving me ideas to improve mine. Maybe one day I will post it.
I went back through previous photo posts of mine, were you able to find cannon to meet your needs?

It took a long time for me to post photos on a website because 1. I try to avoid social media and 2. I did not have confidence in my work. I still have a problem with #1 and I still lack total confidence in my work, but I am comfortable in whatever I post.

You will know when it is time to show your work and you will be happy and proud about it when you do.

FPT

I went back through previous photo posts of mine, were you able to find cannon to meet your needs?

It took a long time for me to post photos on a website because 1. I try to avoid social media and 2. I did not have confidence in my work. I still have a problem with #1 and I still lack total confidence in my work, but I am comfortable in whatever I post.

You will know when it is time to show your work and you will be happy and proud about it when you do.

FPT
Still working on it. I believe the cannon I have works ok.

Bull Run-2-2.jpg

On an unrelated subject, I found a photo of me working on a diorama as part of a History Project assignment in the 9th Grade.
My buddy built a diorama of the Battle of Shiloh so I stole his idea. However, my subject was the 31st “Dixie” Infantry Division that depicted a banzai charge in WW2.

A759AA61-7021-414D-A29A-E385235FCAF9.jpeg

Back