Six Feet Of Devil And 180 Pounds Of Hell ...

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
By Mark Pollard

SIX FEET OF DEVIL AND 180 POUNDS OF HELL ...
"At the start of the War Between the States in 1861, Hatfield was a 21-year old farmer from present day Logan County, West Virginia.
Hatfield's documented Confederate service begins in 1862 when he was commissioned a First-Lieutenant of Cavalry in the Virginia State Line. This regional unit was formed in May 1862 in order to protect the territory along the Kentucky & Virginia border.
The Virginia State Line eventually disbanded in 1863 and Hatfield enlisted as a private in the newly formed 45th Battalion, Virginia Infantry. He was quickly appointed to the position of First-Lieutenant of Company B, and it appears that he was later made Captain. Early in 1864, dozens of soldiers, including Hatfield deserted their unit for unknown reasons. Some sources maintain the desertions occurred because the 45th Battalion had been ordered to move out of the area and the men were not willing to leave their homes unprotected from Yankee Bushwhackers.
Hatfield family tradition, however, holds that Devil Anse left after refusing an order to execute one of his uncles for being absent without leave. Although he left the 45th Battalion, Devil Anse Hatfield did not stop fighting for the Confederacy. He and several members of his former unit joined a partisan unit "Logan Wildcats" that continued to operate in the Tug River Valley region of the West Virginia & Kentucky border.
Oral tradition holds that Hatfield fought alongside "Rebel" Bill Smith, the leader of a guerrilla unit in the Logan County area of West Virginia. As the War between the States ended, so did the border tensions in the region, Devil Anse, along with other former Confederates, took his Amnesty Oath on May 4, 1865. His remaining years, however would be legendary to the ages by the events that occurred during the Hatfield & McCoy Feud."
This image was taken after the War Between the States of Anderson "Devil Anse" Hatfield with shell belt and high leather boots. The rifle he's holding was described as a Marlin M1893 lever action repeater in .38-55 caliber in the December 1957 issue of GUNS Magazine, although it has also been named as a Winchester elsewhere. The horse was named Fred.
Devil Anse Hatfield became the leader of the Hatfield clan during the Hatfield-McCoy feud. He married Louvicey "Levicy" Chafin in 1861. They had thirteen children.
After the War Between the States he was a significant land owner and ran a Logan County timber operation. He was a crack-shot with either rifle or pistol, and an outdoorsman and an avid bear hunter throughout his life.
The legend is that Randolph McCoy, patriarch of the McCoy clan, once called him: "Six feet of devil and 180 pounds of hell."

49523708_10205372891519277_8254552398425489408_n.jpg

49211077_10205372891319272_2447670315455610880_n.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...g_NuP2P50-O0jQGKUdkoPl24H26JC_pPR2pXkEUjqBIoq

No, YOU tell ME who "We" is! It can't be you, you are no "confederate" nor are any other members of this BB, none of us were around his time, so who is the "we" you are referring to?

Kevin Dally

Pardon my Southern colloquialism. Southerners frequently use we, our, my, your and other similar words to things we identify, Examples: my doctor, her school, his church, our town, we the people of a state etc., we don't own them but do identify with them.

Pardon my Southern colloquialism. Southerners frequently use we, our, my, your and other similar words to things we identify, Examples: my doctor, her school, his church, our town, we the people of a state etc., we don't own them but do identify with them.
You might want to pick better folk to identify with.

Kevin Dally

Back