Restricted Six Ballot Referendums to Remove Confederate Monuments in Virginia

Georgia

Sergeant
Why would one want to remove the states say?......It would seem the state would be the target audience of memorials to the soldiers of a state.......so it would seem the proper jurisdiction to decide.
In a way, by leaving it to the individual states, you’re setting up a similar situation as was seen with secession. Each state decided their fate based on their beliefs and the south went one way and the north chose another. One could see a similar situation with the monuments.
I’m really torn on this subject. The more it is discussed here and the more areas and statuary which are being vandalized I keep looking not only for an answer, but the right answer.
To leave things as they are is not a viable answer. To add more information to further explain the era, doesn’t seem to be thought enough. To remove the monuments is against those whose family lost countless members to the war- whichever side they were fighting under. This is a situation where no answer is going to make everyone feel as though the correct thing happened.

But, to vote on the retention or removal could give a decision by the people- and, once it is established- is it for every monument in the state? Or would each monument be voted upon...step by step. And are memorials for fallen soldiers exempt from consideration or are they equally as negative of permanent imagery to those who oppose the monuments? I’ve got more questions than answers. And just when I have logically come to a mental decision, another point I hadn’t considered is raised or another situation happens or something else makes me question my thought processes.

I've always been a little suspicious of anyone who claim they want democracy or justice......but then in the same claim wants to limit the people or jury to only those who agree with them. Much less when one seemingly wants it limited by race.

If one wants inclusiveness, diversity and representation they would want larger samples of the people, not narrower ones.......For example here, things that refer to Missouri or Missourians....would actually seem to be directed to the entire state........

Last edited:

Georgia

Sergeant
I've always been a little suspicious of anyone who claim they want democracy or justice......but then in the same claim wants to limit the people or jury to only those who agree with them. Much less when one seemingly wants it limited by race.

If one wants inclusiveness, diversity and representation they would want larger samples of the people, not narrower ones.......For example here, things that refer to Missouri or Missourians....would actually seem to be directed to the entire state........
I’m hoping that wasn’t directed my way. :wink:
I’m really throwing statement or concepts out and seeing if any “stick” to the wall as possible viable options.

I’d been wondering if it should be a national choice and not just a state vote. I know that won’t please many but, we need to move forward as a nation. And, based on the continuing damage to monuments and continuing issues with land taken from indigenous groups maybe we need what is called in my family a “come to Jesus meeting” which means having a difficult discussion which hopefully would set you back on the correct path.

PapaReb

First Sergeant
I’m hoping that wasn’t directed my way. :wink:
I’m really throwing statement or concepts out and seeing if any “stick” to the wall as possible viable options.

I’d been wondering if it should be a national choice and not just a state vote. I know that won’t please many but, we need to move forward as a nation. And, based on the continuing damage to monuments and continuing issues with land taken from indigenous groups maybe we need what is called in my family a “come to Jesus meeting” which means having a difficult discussion which hopefully would set you back on the correct path.
While I Somewhat understand that reasoning In my opinion that would be a disastrous move that would alienate a large number of states cities and individuals. I still hold firmly to the concept that it should be on the community level except where the monuments are on State property in which case those monuments/memorials should be put to a vote of the entire State. Monuments/memorials on Federal property could possibly be put to a national vote. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
No wasn't directed to anyone in particular, just seems odd for someone to say they want people's will reflected....but then say they don't in fact want the majority of people's will included......

Moving control from cities or counties, to states or NPS might not be a bad idea, state and federal laws would have stricter penalities, and more resources to investigate crimes to public property.

Georgia

Sergeant
While I Somewhat understand that reasoning In my opinion that would be a disastrous move that would alienate a large number of states citits and individuals. I still hold firmly to the concept that it should be on the community level except where the monuments are on State property in which case those monuments/memorials should be put to a vote of the entire State. Monuments/memorials on Federal property could possibly be put to a national vote. Just my opinion.
Makes sense. So much of this does and that’s my issue. I can easily get behind many options as to how to handle this situation.
I’m concerned that we won’t know if we made the right decision until long after - and, that’s just how things work. But, there doesn’t seem to be a clear path for any side which shows the absolute right way to go. If that makes sense.

I just want someone to step up, outline an option and let’s see if we can work with it. The longer this goes, the greater the risk of damage to the monuments and the more negative feelings are made on both sides. I don’t think this situation is one where slowing it down might allow for more calmness.

PapaReb

First Sergeant
The reason that I am adamant about the issue being put to a popular vote on the city, state and possibly a national level is that I see more often now that what is supposed to be a representative republic does not seem to function as such any longer. During election years politicians give lip service to their constituents but then seem to only serve their financial backers and certain special interest groups. Again, just my opinion, others mileage may vary.

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant
The reason that I am adamant about the issue being put to a popular vote on the city, state and possibly a national level is that I see more often now that what is supposed to be a representative republic does not seem to function as such any longer. During election years politicians give lip service to their constituents but then seem to only serve their financial backers and certain special interest groups. Again, just my opinion, others mileage may vary.

Chief example: Mississippi.

That is all.

Tom Hughes

First Sergeant
I've never understood why people would want to tear down American history statues...Each statue was funded and appreciated by people. Yes, they may have had different views than we do in the 21st century, but these were American citizens that thought enough of individuals to erect a monument for our consideration of their participation in the American experience. Who are we to remove or tear them down simply because we think our society is more righteous.